1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2019 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Southern Mississippi probably would have hired him as an OC, but the attendant media shame that he was even a candidate put a kibosh on that pretty quick.

Not saying Southern Miss, or Briles, didn’t deserve that. But about the only place that was going to hire him was some small town that answers to absolutely nothing but its podunk board.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, he was going to get hired somewhere eventually. He's a good football coach but a shitstain as a person.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

A friend of mine lives in Mt. Vernon, Texas. He said this is the talk of the town and nobody will care about his past if they make it to State.

4. Neutral Corner

All it will take is one sexual assault by one of his players for that hire to blow wide open. I know that we're talking high school, not college, so the likelihood is perhaps a bit less, but it remains true.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I was surprised that they were all critical of the piece. I sort of expected more of a mix. Figured two Trumpist/Texan gripes for every well deserved claim that Briles is a fraud and an apologist for sexual assault.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Total dimwit groupthink. Yay, football.

JC likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Maybe. Unlike in college, in which the head coach brings the players to the institution, you play with what you have. The people on your team are already there. (In most cases, anyway). If the team is doing well enough, the Trumpist crowd will begin by screaming, "fake news." Then they'll say it's not Art's fault.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Alma mater of Don Meredith.

I'd be surprised if Mount Vernon dresses out more than 30 for varsity games, so that cuts the likelihood of player misbehavior by a third compared to a college team just by the numbers. Plus, only a handful of seniors are even old enough to buy cigarettes (not for long, the age for that is going to 21 in Texas). The demographics are going to be different also — one of the few East Texas teams without "East Texas Speed." So comparing this to a Briles college situation is comparing apples and andirons. A player incident while in school will be an extreme outlier.

9. Neutral Corner

Ahem. I was guilty of the possession and use of all sorts of things before I was 18. I don't imagine things have changed that much.

That said, while HS kids do get laid, it's still nothing like college. I don't know that the numbers are all that high for sexual assault among HS kids. I'm certain that date rape happens from time to time.

With Briles' history, it will only take one going public to get the scrutiny started, winning team or not.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Also raises the question: Has Mount Vernon ever made the Poin Files?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Perfect for this

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why should you or anybody else care? If this is what’s best for the kid then good for him. Remember, he’s just an amateur athlete.

Draft saved Draft deleted