1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaching magazines looking for freelance writers

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by GAMS_sports, May 21, 2019.

1. GAMS_sports

GAMS_sports New Member

Great American Media Services is looking for freelancers to write features for its coaching magazines. Qualified contributors must have previous sports writing experience, and preference will be given to those with experience writing for a niche publication.

Coach & Athletic Director is our flagship magazine, and we publish two others in the sports realm. The magazines are industry resources for coaches and athletic administrators. Our content includes program management, professional development, team building, budgeting, facilities, strength and conditioning, sports medicine, and all other topics pertinent to college and high school athletic programs. For example, you might be asked to write a piece examining the concussion issue in prep sports or the shortage of referees at the high school level.

Contributors are expected to interview multiple sources, identify key issues and write on deadline. You also may be asked to secure photos. Freelancers are paid 25 cents per published word.

Because these are niche publications, we’re looking for individuals who can write for a specific audience. The features must analyze issues and topics relevant to today’s coaches and athletic directors, and they must provide actionable ideas for improving job performance or confronting the challenges athletic programs face today.

Interested? Please submit a résumé and at least three writing samples to our editorial director, Kevin Hoffman, at khoffman@greatamericanpublish.com. Qualified candidates will be contacted and receive more information on the freelancing process.

NOTE: We welcome pitches, especially those that show you understand our audience and the content we produce. Also, greater consideration will be given to those with sports photography experience.

CD Boogie likes this.
  2. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

Freelancers are paid 25 cents per published word.

Put a period after each word and re-read. They want good writers knowledgeable in a niche category for a quarter a word. Un-f'ing-real.

3. motorsportwriter

motorsportwriter New Member

I love how some people show how dumb they are or don't think about what they're writing. Uh Dan, can you multiply or add? 25 cents per word is far and above the going rate for most freelance stories these days. Do the math: .25 x 1,000 words = $250. If that's too low for an elitist like you to go, I'm sure there's plenty of people that would jump at the opportunity. Most other places are offering .5 to .10 a word, typically, if that.

4. Couldn't have said it better

motorsportwriter likes this.
  5. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

Can you point me to the direction where freelancers are being paid more?

6. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Considering that some papers are only $40-$50 for high school games these days, this is a good day at the freelancing office.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

There was a Twitter thread yesterday -- that I can't find right now -- started by an editor at Travel + Leisure that said the magazine is accepting pitches, needs new writers, and generally pays $2 a word.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, that rate works out to about $200+ per story given that they are asking for multiple sources (as they should). Seems like a more than healthy rate for me.
    My question would be what is the rate for photography?

Draft saved Draft deleted