1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Honestly does anybody here know anyone who wants college available so we can convert people?
    Sounds like an Ellen episode where she joked about the gays converting people and getting a prize Like a toasted oven, for each one they furned.

BadgerBeer and heyabbott like this.
  2. lakefront

Just like health care, we should ask why college is so expensive.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The most important thing anyone ever learns in college is how much they don't know.

TowelWaver and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

All the major institutions of U.S. society have been corrupted by faceless corporate overlords. This is how republics die.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What guarantee is there anywhere? Colleges guarantee it? There’s a seal?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I suggest it’s expensive precisely because the government guarantees loans. Colleges get their money from the gov which then chases down the students.

I suppose the gov could drive a hard financial bargain with colleges. Rationing probably ensues though. Plus caterwauling about all the cuts that would have to occur.

Check your favorite public U sometime and see how many associate vice chancellors there are in admin. You’ll know where the money’s going.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

Why should more people go to college? I know it’s a broad question with seemingly obvious answers, but why?

I’m not saying I’m anti-college by the way. I do think too many people go now, though.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Hi, I'm Attorney General of the United States William Barr and I always said I would never do an endorsement unless I truly believed in the product or service. That's why I am happy to tell you about Trump International Hotel, the finest in our nation's capital. Don't let a busy schedule conflict with your interest in glamour and sophistication. Enjoy the finest fast food available and after a rejuvenating steam bath, cover up with some of the hotel's famous robes. My favorite spot in the Trump International Hotel? Why, the bar, of course. Trump International Hotel. Everyone has their price. We have yours."

HanSenSE and heyabbott like this.
  10. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Not really, if the programs are for in-state students only.

One other result seems to have been even more pressure on private colleges to come up with money to stay somewhat competitive with public universities.

I would rather see us as a society put more resources towards making technical colleges less expensive. At least the one in my city seems to do a very good job at teaching skills that lead immediately to jobs.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. lakefront

I am not saying more should go, the right amount should go. If you want a career that requires college, then...you need to go.
    We also need as many blue collar people educated. Plumbers, electricians, people who work with their hands.
    I don't think people should go to college for the hell of it.
    When I was younger there was also the idea of starting out in a low level job and working your way up. I would assume there is a little bit of that left.
    Then you have military, nursing school, misc things like that.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The guaranteed loans are a license for students to over-borrow and for colleges to increase tuition. Last sentence is also dead on - schools have gotten top heavy as hell with middle administrators.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.