1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Couple things:

First, I'm not sure how keeping a person in-state to go to college helps with the economy unless they stay and build families and careers afterward. Do I expect there's a decent conversion rate of keeping said UGA attendees in state after graduation? There could be. But I can't say I know the data on what amounts to high-end, high-achieving students remaining in the state of their schooling unless said state has jobs in their fields.

Second, once every state has free college, it defeats the purpose of Georgia or Wyoming's innovations, doesn't it? It'd reduce the incentive of staying home?

Third - and this is where I "think" but do not "know" - my suspicion is if you broaden the pool of college attendees by millions and millions, you cheapen the quality of the education, you create an artificial tier of achievement that necessitates another tier, etc. You may even create universities that seek to weed out the mediocre swiftly, ditching them by the side without taking into account the widened, lowered ramp needed to accommodate millions of new attendees.

Four - Tuition is free. Is board? If so, who gets suites? The folks who can pay? If board isn't free, don't colleges just redistribute costs to the cost of board? Buoyed by gobs and gobs of money, universities have taken what was once a straightforward education and turned it into, in some cases, something close to a gated neighborhood with some suites. Why did colleges do that? Why would the University of Texas open The Calloway House, with the tag line "Going to college is extraordinary. Live accordingly."

My take is this: Many of the "yay free college!" folks have no intention of having the same collegiate experience as the poors, just like, as many as progressives will talk about the wonders of public schools and pressure-free youth sports, they have no intention of not leveraging every advantage and every club sport travel team to secure their desired future for their kids. The middle and lower classes are left deciding whether they'd rather be insulted or patronized.

Maybe I'm wrong. Most of the people here think I am.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You had previously mentioned climate change - which I'm pretty sure they're teaching in elementary schools - and men regarding women in an intellectual context. I said those things happen in HS.

Now we're talking about living with other students.

At any rate, I'd submit men regard women more poorly in college than they do in HS, given the sexual assault rates.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How the fuck does he stay awake for days on end?

<Sniff>

Oh!

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If it is not free, costs may skyrocket to such a degree it renders “debt free” a funny joke.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

He's 100 percent correct, of course. Not that anyone will really notice because Trump's just Tweeted something, oh and Beyonce is dropping an album tonight.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I doubt they're doing a particularly good job of teaching actual science in Trumpist states.

States of Denial: We Don’t Need No Climate Education

Alas, Wyoming is not alone. Opposition to the standards has become a rallying cry for many on the far right side of the spectrum. One e-magazine claims theStandards Preach Climate Hysteria, Evolution.”*Oklahoma, another state heavily invested in the fossil fuel industry, could very well be the next state to follow Wyoming’s lead. Last week, a committee of the Oklahoma Housevoted to rejectthe scientific standards.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

10. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Elementary and secondary education is not uniform throughout the country. Since states and school districts each have varying levels of autonomy when it comes to the curriculum, a child could learn one thing in Columbus, Ohio and another thing in Columbus, Georgia. Hell, they could learn one thing in Columbus, Ohio and another thing in Cleveland.

There are still battles against teaching evolution in public schools. There is still a push to have religion in public schools.

So there is no guarantee that climate change or any other proven, scientifically backed occurrence is being properly taught in every school in the country.

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Why do you think "progressives" have a suspect motive?

I do think that each side has incorrect views of the other sides motives. For instance the rare times that I listen to Limbaugh or any of those types, they are always assigning a reason to why liberals do or think things. I always find my self thinking "who the F thinks that"? What they want to assign as reasoning is never correct as to my reasons. Long explanation but basically maybe liberals don't have "evil" reasons for their opinions, they just feel it's the right thing to do.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

YES , HERE IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE, THANK YOU!!!!!

See, I really, really believe that "progressives" or "liberals" want free college because they want all qualified people to get a shot at higher education. Nothing more, no conspiracy, were not trying to turn people liberal or anything, just education.

We should also define liberal and progressive. You use progressive all the time. Are you really only talking about a part of the democratic party? It would be like saying most conservatives are far right.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.