1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well then maybe we should only hold sporting events when all the participants have decided they're ready to compete. They can train at their own pace. Meanwhile, we'll subsidize their training ad infinitum.

;)

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Free college is a good play for progressives, I will say that. The more people who get on college campuses, the more people exposed to progressive theory. College is a good conservative shaming device.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The answer to most of that is because it's damn difficult to protect and serve when the people you are outgunned by the criminals.

The DUI checkpoint thing is another matter entirely. It's a completely separate discussion from the one about police officers having guns. Regarding DUI checkpoints, it's a matter of saving lives at the cost of annoying people. I'm not thrilled with the idea, either, but it's not a hill on which I choose to do battle.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sounds like excuse-making for conservatives who work against an educated populace.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes. If only conservatives could catch a break in this culture. They might even win elective office one day.

Your ongoing argument against education is noted.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Conservatives should stay in the labor fields. They do well in coal mines, roofing, drywalling and even the higher vocations, plumbing, HVAC and auto mechanics. Critical and analytical thinking isn’t for the FoxNews set. But a firm set of directions and binary options suit the dull and dim just fine. Empathy and and looking at multiple opinions doesn’t suit conservative Christians.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Lousy comparison. Even worse for someone who went Vanderbilt. Try this.

Maybe we should eliminate walk ons and undrafted free agent signings since, you know, if they were any good they would have gotten scholarships.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'm fine with that.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a way for a government to make money under the guise of saving lives.

Here's the results from one in California:

1294 vehicles drove through the checkpoint.

761 vehicles were screened in primary.

56 vehicles were sent to secondary screening (drivers who could not produce a driver's license or who were suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs)

32 total citations were issued during the checkpoint. (4 for suspended license and 20 for unlicensed driver, 6 for no insurance)

1 Field sobriety tests

1 Arrest for driving under the influence of alcohol

1 Arrest for auto theft

That's 30 procedural citations worth, what, $6,000? Good night's work, I'd say.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Free community college is good for starters. If you can't advance to a higher level, you can train for a solid career anyway.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Be careful.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.