1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, right now a smaller percentage get Phd's, but you can bet that number would increase proportionately if everyone is given a free college education bc people would want that degree that now distinguishes them from the masses.

"I'm so proud of my daughter. She's the first one in our family to get a PhD."

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Just as you have with scholarships, it would make sense that students have to maintain an academic standard to continue to receive aid for college.

4. outofplace

There are so many other ways to distinguish yourself. Internships can do that. Getting into and attending a better college can do it. Earning better grades can do it. Choosing a major that aids the pursuit of particular jobs can do that. Getting a Master's degree is another option.

5. CD Boogie

You can also distinguish yourself by doing well in high school and gaining an academic scholarship.

6. outofplace

Which brings us back to the point that most academic scholarships are not full rides.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That smells suspiciously like work.

Hard pass.

cyclingwriter2 and CD Boogie like this.
  8. CD Boogie

Well then start there. Instead of making college free for everyone, make it free for the people who are academically qualified to be there.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Knew a kid who was a total fuck off in high school - younger brother of my best friend. His studies consisted of smoking weed, skateboarding and crushing puss (my god, The puss he crushed. One time his brother blew off a girl he wasn’t interested in and my boy swooped in the next day). He obviously didn’t earn an academic scholarship anywhere and wound up going to community college around age 20...then transferred to Pitt and got his undergrad...then Michigan State and got his law degree. He’s a criminal defense attorney now.

My point is not everyone gets their shit together on the same timeline.

10. outofplace

That's what I meant by my earlier post about maintaining academic standards if they want to continue to receive government funding of their education. That part is assumed. Students have to be qualified to get into college before we pay for it.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I can’t control your critique of me. That’s fair.

I won't pretend I can't be a hard case. I can be - especially at it relates to progressives with whom I'd agree more ideologically if I didn't think their motivations were often lacking. I wouldn't say I know better. I think what I think, try to be consistent and logical in that, and go from there. Usually, sooner or later, the way I look at stuff is going to come in conflict with most people on both sides of a debate.

On guns, for example, my first question is generally somewhere along the lines of: Why don't we start reducing guns among the cops first? Why do our role models pack so much heat? Why do they have SWAT tanks? Why do we have random DUI checkpoints where folks are ticketed without prior probable cause?

12. outofplace

That's a fair point, but I still think it is fair to say you have to qualify to get into college before asking the government to pay for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.