1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports writer | Manhattan (KS) Mercury

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, Apr 9, 2019.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Kansas -- 8th in cost of living, 12th in housing affordability, according to US News & Whatnot. It is slightly above average in terms of taxes, coming in 13th in effective tax rate.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how those rankings are skewed by Johnson County alone.

3. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

Maybe this is a joke about Manhattan (New York) that didn't land?

Liut likes this.
  4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If Johnson County didn't exist, I think Kansas would be a lot lower. If Southeast Kansas didn't exist, Kansas would be a lot higher.

I worked in Southeast Kansas and the majority of the state's poorest counties were down there.

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I've written a book in which Johnson County is a factor in the second chapter. In the 1970s, it was one of the most affluent counties in the United States. My best guess is … it still is.

6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Good luck living in Manhattan on that salary. You’ll probably have to commute from Newark

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Where were you when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Sports Barf likes this.
  8. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

"Good luck living in Manhattan on that salary. You’ll probably have to commute from (Junction City)."

(You probably don't want to live in Junction City.)

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think they're still identifying diseases you can catch in JC.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Wamego = Brooklyn

Ogden = Staten Island

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What are taxes like for a person making 30K a year? I thought Kansas had a pretty regressive tax structure.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I am not a tax expert and should never be confused as such. From what I've found, the consensus seems to be that state income tax would be $900 to $1,000 for a single filer, with local, federal, and FICA on top of that. Then there's sales (which is higher than average, 8.95 percent city + county for Manhattan), fuel, and property taxes, though buying property at that salary and in this business seems like a bad idea to say the least.

Draft saved Draft deleted