1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't know that many people, outside of a small group of over-progressives, are "for" illegal immigration. There are different solutions to the problem of what to do with the illegal immigrants who are already in America, but the idea that anyone wants undocumented workers pouring into any country is kind of ridiculous. Refugees, sure. Liberals probably want to save more people in more unbridled ways. (I wish we'd taken more Syrians, and not everyone would agree with me, and that's fine.) But your question is a little specious.

As for college, I think post-secondary education, like healthcare, should be universal and access should be based on merit (or sickness), not the ability to pay for it. That's something that poor people should vote for, because if anything will give them a chance at the semi-bullshit that is the American Dream, it's that, not cutting taxes for rich people. Republicans use patriotism and single-issue cynicism—as if Trump gives a holy shit about abortion—to get people to vote for things that are against their own interest. It's a con, and it's terrible, but it's also a little on the people who fall for it. That's when people get called dumb. Which, I grant you, isn't going to change anyone's mind about anything. But it's a reflexive response to seeing something so fucking exasperating.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, we don't know all of what they got after all that time because President Trump and his supporters are still suppressing the thing.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This is a really interesting topic to me. College really seems to be more of a proving ground unless you major in a field of study that's specific to your profession (engineering, nursing, etc.) If you can prove that you can compete the requirements of a four-year program, you probably have the maturity and reliability needed for a specific full-time position. That's most of what most college degrees are, along with having some relevant knowledge, or at least familiarity, with a particular field of study.

There's also a whole sea of college graduates beyond the orbits of most here. Lots of kids borrow money to go to no-reputation schools that are effectively open enrollment, then come out working in places like call centers and running programs at the Y. None of that requires a college education, not even the job description. Many of those people would have made more money, and sooner, learning a vocation.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We disagree on college, but, then, I'm not sure I'm right (I'm kind of confident I am, but not sure because it seems impossible to imagine it actually happening.

To be clear: I think college should be based on merit, too. And there lots of poor people who got to college for something close to free (scholarships) because they merit going, due to their grades. That wouldn't change if we ended government-subsidized loans. They'd still go, and go for free, so long as colleges offered good scholarships which, well, they always do. But universal college wouldn't solve much, IMO. You'd just see degree creep. One degree would become closer to the equivalent of a high school diploma. The market would flood with people who probably shouldn't be in college - which is vastly different from people not needing to be healthy since we all need that - diluting its value and, again, creating a tier, a class of education held for people who can - and do - pay for it. Then there'd be the question of, OK, well, now I have the degree, and I'm way underemployed, and what the hell? The same winners before would likely be the same winners in the future because, after all, the battle's being fought on terrain they know.

Perhaps the immigration question is specious, but, then, all America has ever done is kick the can down the road on it. And, in my experience, can-kicking generally happens when someone with power rather benefits from it. Which, corporations have. The poorest have suffered most over 25 years, since the kind of service job they could pick are taken, in part, by a market of workers who will work for less, in worse conditions, because said conditions are better than their home country.

As for the sentence "There are different solutions to the problem of what to do with the illegal immigrants who are already in America, but the idea that anyone wants undocumented workers pouring into any country is kind of ridiculous." ...If one's solution is to resolve the "undocumented" portion of that sentence vs. "pouring into," then it's not really a solution. Not saying it's your solution. But Democrats have no real plan. Their plan is "the wall is evil." Criticism is not a plan.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If college became free for all, you'd only see more of this. With a massive tax obligation to pay for it.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

More than a little of this probably has to do with how many evangelicals (not I, I'm an amillennialist) read Revelation and the role Israel will play in the end times.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So you think Mueller proved collusion, knows he did, and wrote something else, because of suppression?

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, that's not even close to what I said. I'm saying we haven't seen the full report. You know we haven't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.