1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2019 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 28, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

We actually have a pretty good history of making deals with each other. Usually at least one, if not two or three, during a season. This is the first time he's pulled this kind of a move. He said he's soured on Albies because of his slump so his price went up. To which I countered today that Verlander is pitching ridiculously well, so my price just went up. I don't expect we'll get a deal done soon, if at all. Now I have to more seriously consider Harper. I'd have preferred Judge because of his keeper status.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How long did you have the offer before you responded?

As long as an offer is out there and hasn't been pulled, the guy should honor it. I'd either tell him to honor that or get nothing or I'd ask for even more.

3. bigpern23

The offer of Ray/Judge for Verlander came over Yahoo chat last night. I told him to send me the offer. This morning he sent Ray/Mikolas/Judge for Verlander/Acuna.

A little backstory is that a few weeks ago we had discussions in which he offered Ray/Corbin/Judge for Verlander/Albies. I wanted deGrom/Judge for Verlander/Albies. So when he sent the offer this morning, it was kind of a variation off that original offer, but not the offer I agreed to last night.

4. outofplace

That all makes more sense, but I'd still insist on what he offered that you agreed to, if not more, in any deal for Verlander after he pulled that crap.

It could be worse. I was once in a keeper league that had a commissioner and two assistant commissioners. The commissioner had to approve all deals. If he was involved in the trade, one of the assistant commissioners would rule. In over a decade, only one trade was ever vetoed. When the two guys involved in the trade pushed back, the commissioner backed off and allowed it to go through.

One evening I got into this conversation/trade negotiation with the commissioner that lasted well over an hour. We agreed on a trade and put it through the league site. I forget the particulars. This was the before the 2009 season and I do remember that I got Joe Mauer in the deal. (If you didn't put it together, that means I acquired Mauer just in time for his MVP year.)

For some reason, it took days for the trade to go through. I finally found out why. The commissioner had buyer's remorse, so he went behind my back to the assistant commissioners asking them to veto the deal. He claimed he was drunk when he agreed to do it. They upheld the actual rules of the league and put the deal through. I am no longer in that league. :)

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I ended up taking this and then looking for SPs. I started negotiating with the guy who has Syndergaard and auer. Lots of back and forth has us with him offering:
    J. Votto Cin - 1B
    F. Reyes SD - OF
    M. Carpenter StL - 1B,2B,3B
    N. Syndergaard NYM - SP
    A. Morgan Phi - RP
    for
    A. McCutchen Phi - OF
    D. Vogelbach Sea - 1B
    T. Anderson CWS - SS
    A. Chapman NYY - RP
    J. Lester ChC - SP

Which doesn't actually net me a SP, but does let me buy low and sell high on a few players. I don't mind losing Chapman as much because it's net saves/holds.

Categories are interesting:
    HR
    SB
    BB
    TB
    OBP
    K
    ERA
    K/BB
    QS
    NSVH

Thoughts?

6. outofplace

Without doing a deep dive into the numbers, it seems like you'd be counting on Votto coming around. Maybe he will, but remember, he never fully got back on track last season. Votto finished 2018 with only 12 home runs. Maybe he really is that steep of a decline at age 35.

It is also at least possible that Carpenter won't come around, but he does have a history of rebounding big from ugly starts. The one thing that makes me think this deal is worth taking is that you have both OBP and walks as categories. Despite their struggles, Votto and Carpenter are still drawing Walks. Carpenter is actually on pace for over 100 of them again.

It's probably worth the risk, assuming you have a viable replacement for Anderson at shortstop.

7. Guy_Incognito

Marte and DeJong

8. outofplace

I don't think it's bad gamble, but if Votto and Carpenter both fail to rebound, it's going to hurt your team more than help. My best guess is Carpenter bounces back fine, but Votto doesn't. I'm sure the average for the latter will come up, but I don't think the power is fully returning.

9. Guy_Incognito

For me, the biggest piece is that I think Syndergard is better than he's been and I don't trust Lester to hold up. Chapman is a high price to pay, but it lets me cash put on Lester, Anderson & Vogelbach's big starts. Leaning towards it but having trouble pulling the trigger.

10. outofplace

I agree with the idea of cashing out on Lester and Vogelbach, but I think Anderson can keep up much of what he is doing. It's a tough call, especially because unless Lester falters and Syndergaard picks it up, you won't get the pitching help you need.

11. bigpern23

I just sent Domingo German, Robles and Corey Seager to a guy for German Marquez and Carlos Correa. We executed the deal on Monday. Two days later I find out Correa has a fractured rib. FML.

12. Guy_Incognito

You still make have to that deal #bestavailableGerman.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted