1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The quality of the writing has never been in question. It’s that you make a hire outside the box, so to speak, that turns into stories about Phil’s calves, big hot dogs and an ex NFL player who invested in trampoline parks. The subject matter is marginalizing, is the point.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I believe the editors in charge of NFL and MLB coverage are women. And I believe they just hired a woman to be a managing editor, based on the West Coast.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t get the sense that all of these writers are fresh out of college. Some of them are already accomplished. This is a side gig, and more about WNBA coverage than giving young writers a crack at a big job.

Tweener likes this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The covers of SI used to feature stories on yachting and fox hunting. Times change, whether we like it or not.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To be clear, there are journalists who do the “new, strange, wired global world we live in” beat quite well. Taylor Lorenz does it better than anyone. Her approach would be interesting in sports.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep. I can speak for one of the writers, she has a perfectly good day job and this is a nice moonlighting gig. There's way too much over-reading into all facets of this.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A cursory reading of Twitter handles would clue in anyone.

I have no beef with The Athletic adding WNBA coverage, mind you.

8. Ask and ye shall receive (part of your request): Jeff Gluck: We're here to give you stories about motorsports...

9. playthrough

Well how about that. Terrific pickup. I greatly admired how Gluck took the leap of faith to go out on his own through Patreon and how he had built enough of a following to make it work. There's no question that he will generate a solid number of new subscribers.

And this is a little bit of validation that Nascar sorely needs as tumbleweeds continue to blow through their media centers. The league has bought its way into USA Today for years but I'd guess that's not the case here.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Tom Ato and maumann like this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Honestly, Yahoo Sports is starting to dominate the sports apps that function like an old Sportscenter/newspaper. I would not try to fight them on that front.

The Athletic should walk away from gamers. They cannot compete with Yahoo who gives me a gamer, better stat box and the video highlight package.

What Yahoo cannot give me is chats with writers, better written columns, snarky stuff, fun stuff. The Athletic needs to be Sports Illustrated. Does that make sense?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How's the driver accessibility these days? It used to be pretty dang good. Is it still?

12. playthrough

My experiences from a reporter's perspective and later a PR perspective were not positive, especially with veteran drivers. When Nascar had it really good, with hordes of reporters, drivers couldn't be bothered for much more than the minimum. Now they could use the boost but the hordes are long gone.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted