1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

yeesh I don't think even the refs can save this squad

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Isn't every goal already reviewed? Wasn't the problem on the hand-pass was that it couldn't be changed upon review, if no one on the ice saw it? Pretty easy fix, any goal aided by an uncalled non-penalty infraction (like a hand pass) can be negated upon review, whether the refs saw it or not.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That’s what I was getting at.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Brilliant minds think alike!

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Didn't see San Jose-St. Louis Game 5. I heard the Sharks described as "listless." True?

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Fools seldom differ!

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Evander Kane clanged one off the post 10 seconds in and the Sharks faded after that. The Blues also hit a post early-on, but kept playing. Kane was trying to hurt everybody. Mike Haley inexplicably was in the lineup. I guess DeBoer thought he needed a goon to win this game. The Blues didn't back down and the Sharks wound up as the ones getting hurt. They had five guys in the locker room during the third period. They also kept taking penalties. Erik Karlsson is hurt and can't play. He played 7 minutes in the first and 3 in the second. He was trying to stretch his groin a couple of times. He and Burns coughed up pucks that led to goals early.

Liut likes this.
  8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

So crazy that they kept Karlsson in the lineup. He can't play right now. Why not keep him out Sunday, then maybe you could have gotten something out of him in Game 6 and (probably) Game 7? Can't see him going again on Tuesday now.

As a Blues fan, I can't overstate what a great job Berube has done with this team, with going from dead last in the NHL in January to now, with a rookie goalie, and especially after the hand-pass OT game. Apparently he told the players to don't talk about it, don't whine about it, just keep moving forward. History tells me to not expect anything more than for them to lose Game 6 and Game 7, but the level they are playing at now is unreal.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

My only guess is they wanted that win on home ice so badly they threw caution to the wind.
    Something else about Sunday I didn't realize today: Sharks assessed 32 of their 36 penalty minutes in the third. Very uncharateristic of this team.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No Pavelski, Hertl or Karlsson. Sharks down 2-0 after one.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bummed for the Sharks, but they were a depleted team that wasn't going to catch another break. I'm all in with the Blues.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Enough titles for Boston, go Blues.

I didn’t realize that Boston and St. Louis are the only cities to meet in the final of all four major sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted