1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got a new car last year and did not know anything about this. It's my first car with a screen and that kind of interface. Had it for seven or eight months and grew increasingly frustrated with my back door being locked every time I ran into the store and wanted to put something in the back seat even though I left the doors unlocked. Finally started scrolling through the menus one day and, voila, there it was. About six different combinations for how the doors lock and unlock. Kinda made me feel like a troglodyte.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I'm too lazy to look it up, but there is some logic to it. Something about 'female' being limited or demeaning.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

“The runners with vaginas” probably would go over better

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Battery swap.

Dodge Key Fob Battery Replacement Instructions

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My last car, something went wrong with the driver's side door. If the car had been locked, it would only open from the inside. Once it was unlocked, it was fine. It'd open normally all day long until it was locked again. The dealer told me it was about a $500 repair and I was too cheap to fix it, so I got used to opening the passenger's side door and reaching across to open the driver's side.
    The car, though, only had one manual key hole on the driver's side door. If my key fob had ever stopped working I'd have had to start climbing in through the trunk.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And people would have immediately recognized you as a journalist.

Batman likes this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

OK, I need one thing sorted out. Could you manually unlock the driver’s side door with the car key?

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I’ve tried a new battery and cleaning the contacts. The solution to the issue is to replace the truck. That’s not going to happen until it’s total toast.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I could unlock the door, with the fob or manually with the key, but it wouldn't open. Something with the handle. The mechanism in there broke, they sort-of fixed it on the cheap to get it working again the way it worked, but a proper fix would have been a few hundred dollars. The car was already about eight years old and had 200,000 miles on it at that point so I wasn't sure how much longer I'd have it and figured I could live with it.
    Turns out, I had it another three years or so.
    I kind of got used to just putting my stuff in the passenger's side (I always have a bookbag with me if I'm working) and reaching across to unlock it. Rainy days were trouble. I had to either do that move, or climb in the passenger's seat and then scoot across to the driver's side.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I bought a digital meat thermometer and could not figure out how in the hell to open it up to put the batteries in. I called the support number and the lady had this resigned attitude, like she heard the question all the time. She told me what to do and I still cannot open the fucking thing.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My driver's side power lock won't work any more for some reason. The key fob won't lock it (and it is starting to not work to unlock it) and the lock won't engage when I put the car in gear. I'm dreading the bill to get it fixed. Weirdly, the same thing happened on my passenger side door but then it magically worked itself out. It leads me to wonder if I a) have a loose wire that is being held in place by shear will or b) I need to drop some WD-40 into the lock. My cheap Scottish side wants B my pragmatic side knows it's A (or some related problem).

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Oh and with this thread back up, I'd be remiss to not post about what has been grinding my gears for a while (I might have posted this before, but with the search function MIA...)

Why the hell to people think the parking spots right in front of a store's door is the best spot ever? And I don't mean in small lots where you don't have rows upon rows, but the one where you have a couple of rows that require you walk across the lot or park right in front of the door. There's a spot in a shopping center where there's a Starbucks on the corner of the center. One of the three entrances/exits to the lot is right next to the Starbucks. You can't turn left from any of the exits, so you need to use the exit in front of Starbucks to get to the light that will let you head north or make a U-turn to defacto make a left. All that to say, the entrance/exit is busy as fuck and it is on a slight incline, so you can't see people coming from the road way until they turn and you can't see cars in the lot until you turn from the roadway. But people insist on parking right there and nearly causing an accident every time I pass through there because it is right in front of the door. Good, God, people unless you really have a hard time walking, just go the extra 50 feet for fuck's sake.

Draft saved Draft deleted