1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Kobe beat the three-headed Celtics monster with Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace and Lamar Odom as his teammates.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yes, he did. No one would argue he wasn't a great player. The NBA has had lots of great players, which is why it has lots of fans.

3. Regan MacNeil

"Teams win. Great players, no matter how great, can't beat better teams."

Is there a word in there I misunderstood?

4. Michael_ Gee

Paul Gasol and Metta were high quality NBA players. It wasn't just Kobe. In 2008, he died like a dog against those same Celtics in the Finals. You can have a wonderful team and if the star goes south, you're fucked. You can have a megastar, one of the 5-10 best ever, and if the other star or stars on the team go south, you're fucked. See when Pippen had the migraine against the Pistons in Game 7.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And Gilmore.

Artis is in a subgroup with Ewing, Willis Reed and Nate Thurmond.

Then you get into centers/not centers like Unseld, Hayes, Cowens. Chris Webber and Bosh from newer vintage.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  6. Michael_ Gee

I agree. Moses was an unbelievable force. The rest of that Rockets team he took to the Finals in 1981 were at best, forgettable. Without him, Sixers don't beat the Lakers.

7. Regan MacNeil

Metta was no longer a quality NBA player by 2009-10.

8. Michael_ Gee

To return to the present, the Raptors and Bucks are playing a super entertaining game which convinces me neither has a hoot in hell against the Warriors.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think the Bucks can hang with the Warriors. We'll see soon enough.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Chris Webber can't stop bashing Malcolm Brogdon. "You can't let him beat you," Webber said..
    Hmm.
    Rookie of the Year.
    All he's done in the closing minutes tonight is drive past a dude for a game-tying layup, drive past a dude for an assist for another game-tying field goal and make a runner to keep his team's hopes alive.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's why I cringe when I see some who expect/expected Kobe or James (2016 Finals excepted) to do it all themselves. And why I marvel that two of the biggest baskets during the Bulls' title run were made by bit players such as John Paxson and Steve Kerr.

12. Michael_ Gee

I could easily be wrong, but neither team tonight has shown much, shall we say, smooth offense.

Draft saved Draft deleted