1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

What propaganda rag were you reading in the 80s?

Magic and Oscar never won an NBA title without Kareem.

Jordan hit the game winning shot against Georgetown as a freshman. Led an Olympic team that obliterated the world for a gold.

They lost in the playoffs to bums like the Bucks, Celtics and Pistons. Yeah, whatever shit they were peddling to sell papers in Bahstahn was way the fuck off. That was regional shit.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Domi couldn’t even reach Shaq’s chin with a fucking step stool. I’m being serious when I type that. He would need a fucking ladder to hit him in the face.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

One of my great sports regrets is not getting a full career of this magnificent man. So odd not to see him smiling.

Attached Files:

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstand my post. That Kareem got shit for not winning in the late '70s (remember "Airplane?") despite having one NBA title and three NCAA titles and that Jordan got the same crap in the NBA until they finally beat the Pistons are established historical facts. They needed help to win. So did Wilt. So did Russell. So foes everybody. It;'s a fucking team sport.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

People though Kareem was lazy. They never thought he wasn’t a winner.

Michael was just a scorer is a regional “fact.”

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This whole threadjack brings new meaning to Hack-A-Shaq.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Now, There was the theory that people who led the league in scoring would never win a title. Dominique Wilkins, Alex English, Dan Issel... those were the players that people thought would never win a title because all they could do was score, which was right. But you were basketball blind if you thought Jordan would be looped in with those guys.

8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

I’ll take Artis Gilmore has my sixth man, please.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Artis was great, but he wasn't even the sixth-best center ever.
    (Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson, Mikan)

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Malone is better than Mikan. And Robinson.

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Artis is probably one of the most underrated player in NBA history.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Maybe so. But it was a theme back then. What it really meant was the rest of his team wasn't that good, and Doug Collins wasn't a real good coach. I covered Jordan's 63 point game against the Celtics in the playoffs in '86. The weird thing was he scored within the offense. The Bulls' second option was Orlando Wooldridge, who went a cool 9 for 28. Imagine you have a guy going off for 63 and YOU take 28 shots! No wonder they lost. You miss the point. Teams win. Great players, no matter how great, can't beat better teams. Even with Pippen, it took the Bulls three tries to figure out how to beat the Pistons.

Draft saved Draft deleted