1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I quit my job?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, redux.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Great, another person who has a problem with me for no apparent reason.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

For the most part yes. When I look at a candidate, I have to wonder (1) will they be an asset? (2) do they fit in (3) do they want to be here? and (4) can we do better?

Unemployment doesn't help in either of those.

Slacker likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Still can’t hit a curveball.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

If you're gonna keep warbling about it to strangers on a message board, then, yes, you should quit your job. Right away.

Go find something, anything!, that might make you happier at some point. Report back to us then. ... Thanks in advance.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That was my life preserver after journalism closed its door. You can always type ... that gets your foot in the door ... then climb from there.

My credo was "Fuck lifting anything heavy." And I got within a month of my severance package running out before my 21st interview clicked and was something I wanted.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Vombatus likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I quit a job right after college without anything lined up (kids: it’s not advised) and scored high on the government typing tests — somewhere in the 90s. In hindsight I wish I’d gone after those gigs harder; I didn’t want to give up on the journalism thing yet and stayed in the biz, and the starting pay was a wash. This was before the industry imploded. Had I taken a county job, I’d now be halfway to retirement practically.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That is one thing that makes me jealous, is the retirement that state/county workers get. I just did a story on a basketball coach taking a job at a private school. He's only 56 and has been in semi-retirement, coaching but not teaching, for four years already because he started in the public school system straight out of college and got his 30 years in. The same private school has at least one other coach in the same situation, around the same age.
    I'm 42 and I'll probably be working until I'm dead.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Life is not measured by wealth or how long you work, but by sense of worth and happiness.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

True, but I'd be a lot happier and be able to develop a better sense of self worth if I was able to retire when I was 52.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And be able to occasionally make it rain.

Batman likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That was my thinking in staying in journalism. I was young and naive. Had I been able to see the disaster the last 12 or 13 years have been in the industry, that would've changed my viewpoint.

Kato and Vombatus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.