1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with this. I think the one area you can compare eras is great centers. Wilt, and to a lesser extent, Shaq, were so dominant in their ability to be these athletic marvels that were also absolute freight trains. I don't know if I've ever seen a stronger basketball player or athlete period than Wilt.

But Jabbar had that tremendous all around paint game. He was so reliant on the sky hook later in his career (rightfully so, it was pretty much unstoppable) that people forget that he could score any way he wanted to for the first half of his career. Hakeem is real close to Jabbar. I actually think Hakeem has better natural footwork but Jabbar just had such an unstoppable array of offense.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Who would win in a fight: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, a disciple of Bruce Lee, or Shaquille O'Neal, the inventor of Shaq Fu?
    Discuss.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Is the only way to measure greatness championships?

4. nafselon

Shaq's main issue would be his accuracy because there's no way he should have missed here. That being said, if he does connect I feel like one punch would end any conflict.

Kareem's right hook, seen here flattening former No. 1 pick Kent Benson, is short and compact and probably more powerful than it looks but I think Shaq's got the chin to stand up to it.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A Boston talk show host who shall remain nameless except it was Michael Felger, once said Tie Domi would beat Shaq in a fight because he was used to fighting and Shaq wasn't. Even on skates, and Shaq's skate laces tied together, he still throws Domi into the upper deck.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Domi has a hard head

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'd have taken Drunk Bob Probert in a fight over Shaq. Not Domi, tho.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Bob could use his car, maybe.

9. nafselon

That's why I'd suggest hitting him in the face. Much softer.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In that Shaq clip, it looked like Brad Miller wasn't providing a target -- and moving away -- and Shaq saw his window to throw a punch closing so he took the best shot he could. It was still wild and sloppy, though.
    Nice, short punch from Kareem, but still a sucker punch. Not saying it wasn't warranted, just that it was a sucker punch that was more effective and devastating because Benson never saw it coming.

And I'll go ahead and say that any of the great old time hockey goons (Domi, Probert, Dave Schultz) would mop the floor with almost any NBA player. Shaq would have an obvious size advantage over those guys and would have a puncher's chance of landing a one-punch KO, but it'd be like picking a fight with the wrong angry 5-foot-9 asshole in the bar. The hockey guys know how to fight, have been in plenty of fights, aren't fazed by the situation, and can take and avoid a punch. I'm not sure Shaq ever lands more than a glancing blow on those guys.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

We talking real actual fights?

Shaq will wrap his hands around those clowns' throats and choke them to death or try to smother them with his size, if he gets in close they are dead because of their inability to escape. I don't give a shit how hard Domi's head is, an elbow to the back of his neck will likely paralyze him.

The goons will try to kick him square in the knees if they are smart but you only got one shot at that. If they miss, just run and hope he's not fast enough to chase you.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Are we talking 23-year-old Magic Shaq or 33-year-old fat-ass Heat Shaq?

Draft saved Draft deleted