1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball ruling

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, May 8, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Something similar happened in a playoff game about 20 years ago... Robin Ventura ended the game with a grand slam, and he never made it around the bases. Only the go-ahead run counted in the final score.

Grand Slam Single - Wikipedia

Sorry for the random thread jack.

maumann likes this.
  2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I remember that; I don’t even think he made it to second base before his teammates dragged him down in a mob.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Is this part universal? If so, I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t know that. I assumed in a walk off situation, the only time more than one run could possibly count was in the event of a home run.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The thing that's different in my scenario than all the others is it wasn't a walk-off situation. The league is of no help. We just have a max amount of runs that can be scored in an inning. I'm leaning toward I'd rule it as a HR with one RBI.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

It's a HR. That part can't be denied. If it leaves the park it's not a single.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And a savage bad beat for "over" players.

7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Any max-runs-per-inning rule I've ever been involved with always included "unless a home run is hit, then all the runs count." So if three runs are in and the kid jacks a salami, all four count for a total of seven in the inning.

Of course, that got coaches in the 8- and 9-year-old divisions to say to hell with it. They'd have the last batter try to get a "home run" on his grounder to the right side of the mound. It didn't matter the umpire was waiving his arms yelling, "Inning over, that's five!" The coaches would continue to send the kid while the opposing team threw the ball all over the infield trying to get him out.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Just throw it home and wait for the runner.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

So it's a groundout? He said it was a tie game bottom of the 8th (that's extra innings). How can that be an out, unless the RF
    throws it to the 1B.

10. Actually the rule has been changed somewhat in pro baseball since the Merkle incident; now, as I understand it, as long as the batter touches first on a game-ending play and the runner from third touches the plate the game ends. Under high-school rules any runner who is forced must touch the next base. There was a situation in Georgia a couple years ago where the winning run scored on a two-out bases-loaded walk and the runner moving from second to third didn't touch third. He was called out and there was quite a to do about it.

11. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Something similar to your suggestion eventually happened. The coaches had their kids in that situation throw to the base immediately in front of the runner.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

New one I have never seen before in youth baseball:
    Runner on third, one out. Batter laces a shot into the right-center gap. Runner on third races home, crosses the plate. CF makes a great grab. runner that crosses the plate heads back to third but does not retouch home plate. Makes it back to third safely. Team in the field appeals, saying the kid had to touch home on his way back to third. Umps rule the kid out. Team batting protests, saying kid isn't required to retouch home on his way back to third. Wins the appeal. Kid is safe at third.
    I've seen this play at second and know you have to retouch the bag returning to first, but never at home.
    I think the kid should have to retouch home on his way back to third.
    Anyone?

justgladtobehere likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted