1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I quit my job?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So you mean you shouldn't overreact and quit because someone who isn't your boss said something shitty to you? What a concept.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Plus, quit saying you’re not any good at what you are doing.

You are getting PAID to practice!

Practice!

wicked likes this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Also heard good things about Costco. Pay is decent. Closed on the holidays. The one I’ve gone to the past 15 years, most of the employees have been there the entire time.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Baron Scicluna and Vombatus like this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Costco probably isn't bad. But it is part-time only, for virtually everyone, usually for years, before there is any chance of going to full-time. Everyone hires in as part-time -- virtually no exceptions.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you be good at certain things before somebody hires you to do them?

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  8. Smallpotatoes

Where?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I actually agree with JC -- who would've thought that would've ever happened?! -- and think you should quit, if you can, and if there's this much angst and anxiety involved with the job.

I believe you're being a little quick-triggered and not giving yourself enough time -- that you'd improve and get more comfortable with practice and experience -- but you don't really sound like you want to learn or do what you're doing at all, anyway, so maybe you should look elsewhere.

I've done it before on here, but I'd suggest city and county jobs -- check out their careers web sites -- as there are lots of administrative, office-y type positions in many different areas that might be of interest: Elections Office, County Recorder's Office, Human Relations, Social Services, Sheriff's Department/911 Emergency Response (this is actually good for sports writers; it feels somewhat akin to taking info calls on games for roundups, etc. on a busy night, but is much more important), Operations and Facilities, etc.

It is important to do very well (like 95th percentile, at least) on the initial written tests for all these jobs if you're to ever get to the interview stage, but I've found that it's do-able, particularly, again, the more you take them. And the hiring process is fair and inclusive, particularly through the early stages, just because the process is so standardized and inclusive. These also are usually good, stable jobs with decent if not great, pay, and good benefits. There also are a lot of temporary and long-term temp (like, months at a time) possibilities to be had. They can be good experience and open other doors for you.

If you apply for many positions, you'd have to have time, and the schedule, for all the test-taking. But if you're not working yet, that wouldn't be a problem anyway. Give it a try.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Job hunting is like dating, you’ve got to project that you have options, employed v unemployed sends different messages. Not saying is all one way but it means something.

I just interviewed someone and he was ad a college grad for 18 months but not employed. Come on get a job any job.

12. Smallpotatoes

So the idea is that you don't want them to think you need the job, but that you want the job?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.