1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunday will never be the same

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, May 15, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The biggest problem Christians have is the people who wrap themselves in Christ solely for the purpose of obtaining, keeping or expanding their wealth and power.

Christ is not the Redeemer for them. He's a business opportunity.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

False teachers and modern day Pharisees? Yes. It’s an issue.

FileNotFound and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

UAB once scheduled a game on Friday night because TV demanded it. The howls about playing a college game on high school game night were deafening. There are scads of Baptists here, but that wasn't the religion which was being offended.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think of it as theology as brought to you by President Bartlett.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Old Testament is cited by Christians who oppose gay rights, abortion and other issues. It’s only fair to point out the inconsistency.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Most Christians I know - who opposed gay relationships and abortion - aren't working out of an Old Testament context at all. Many Christians don't know nearly enough about the Old Testament (which is both too bad and OK, since the OT, absolutely wonderful, nevertheless requires context to fully appreciate.) There's no reversal on the argument of abortion in the NT. What in the world would give you that idea? Christ's death indicates a call to protect life at an even higher degree than before!

IMO, you're reading that context because it's become a familiar critique of Christians. It's a critique I had before I became a Christian. And, I mean, you can do whatever you want as it relates to that critique. Keep grinding on it. But, as a Christian, I'm telling you it's a lazy critique. It isn't any good because whole books in the NT address this question, since it was a huge deal at the time. If there is a critique the NT answers with great zeal and detail, it is precisely this critique. That's why it's ironic, how often it's leveled. A moron who asked "so WTF is Revelation?" would have a more interesting critique.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Bingo

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It could be noted, too, that one reason charlatans and politician Christians succeed in wrapping themselves in the faith is because Christianity itself has become so broad that it's easy to buy a ticket on the ride.

At this point, it's far too broad, embracing aspects of free market theory that don't really jibe with the Christian experience. Christians should not be, fundamentally, political libertarians. We believe in interdependence.

9. Baron Scicluna

The basic OT argument against gay marriage is that God created Adam and Eve and not Adam and Steve and that abortion is prohibited by the 10 Commandments.

The inconsistency comes when they cite these OT points as their rationale, then say that they’re not obligated to follow the OT laws regarding dietary restrictions, etc.

Slacker likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Calf leather. Possibly fatted calf leather, for all I know.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is an Old Testament-level mess caused by poor translation.

The priestly ephod (kind of a smock) was an early example of something we’re all too accustomed to — organized religion pulling a do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do. As spelled out in both Exodus and Deuteronomy, the ephod was made of linen stitched together with wool. The village priest could wear such a garment, but no other person could. Exodus’ prohibition is vague in most of the translations I’ve seen. Deuteronomy 22:11 is more specific about proscribing a garment of linen and wool woven together.

Nothing anywhere says you could not wear something such as a leather garment with wool as its lining. Only the priestly types could wear something constructed like the ephod, however, and anybody else wearing something similar to the ephod was challenging the ancient social order and religio-political hierarchy. Potentially rebellious, which they obviously hated.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Obligatory response:

[​IMG]

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted