1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Bills have significantly improved this offseason. If Allen gets better, they could well be a wild card team.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought Gase was an odd hire - particularly after getting canned from his first gig. It wasn't like Tannhill developed under him. I don't see how you a allow a GM to make the kind of decisions he's made (coach and draft picks) that apparently are so bad, they cost him his job before the coach has his first game. My guess is that it was office behavior related. The Bell contract, the picks, the coach - the owner has to sign off on those, and if they don't - that's on them.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's almost as if Woody* looked at the Giants draft pick fiasco and said, "hold my beer."

*Does he still own the Jets? Or has Gary Vaynerchuk bought them already?

4. DanOregon

Owns but son Chris is tending to matters while Dad plays ambassador to the UK. There must be something really messed up with Woody if they never let him near the family business, nor sit on the board, nor serve on the family's Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

Didn't realize the Jets also canned the Player Personnel guy - those are two positions that should be staffed with people fully up to speed heading into this time of year when rookies and FAs have to be signed, and roster holes need to be filled with vets.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Chris is Woody’s brother, not his son. I don’t think that the family has any ownership or management role with J&J

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Exhibit A why the Patriots are light years ahead of everybody else in that division. They've gotten an insane amount of usable players, even starters and some stars, on day three of the draft and as undrafted free agents. They're like the guy in your fantasy draft who is still poring over his draft sheets to look for some team's overlooked third wide receiver in the last two rounds while everyone else is eager to pick kickers and defenses and call it a night.

9. DanOregon

The Patriots will pick a guy off of the Bills waiver list a few weeks ahead of game to pick their brain even though they don't need it to win. And they'll churn the bottom five spots on the roster looking for a hidden gem (or edge against a particular team) they are more thorough than they need to be to win - other teams seem to waste a lot of time with office politics and rivalries that set their franchises back years.
    I did notice Pioli stepped down as assistant GM with the Falcons today - maybe he's going to NY to help out.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

To threadjack for a moment more. There is no apparent logic to the admissions process at prestigious schools. I was once the board chair of a private school. We did a really good job of placing graduates. The year I was on the board we placed kids in Chicago, Stanford, Princeton and Cornell. The kid admitted to Princeton did not get into Cornell. And we were completely shocked by the kid admitted to Cornell, who had not loaded up on AP classes and was thought to be Florida State material.

And my son was admitted out of state to UCLA and USC and did not get into Minnesota.

I think that is one reason schools are not designating valedictorians. Elite schools want to see top grades but they are not going to be that concerned about one B+ in an applicants sophomore year.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't know how distinctive it is, but the Patriots often pay more to UDFAs and give big salaries to practice squad members.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted