1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunday will never be the same

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, May 15, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Many of the same people who spout "the Sabbath is a day of rest and not for work" have no problem at all piling into their cars after church and heading out to a restaurant for lunch, where, presumably, someone will have to work to serve them their food.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

This probably has nothing to do with anything but Vigneron has been the archbishop since 2009
    Detroit’s previous four archbishops were all named cardinals
    Vigneron has not

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

While this may be true, it’s also true that, a half century ago, towns were a lot more “shut down” than they are now. I don’t think most Americans want a return to that. Do you?

Many people don’t believe in a Sabbath. Why should they not be able to work when they want?

For all I know the guy’s a real prick. But he ended up on what amounts to the right side of his beliefs. In doing that, I imagine it forces parishioners to hash out their own thoughts and feelings, which is a good thing.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That there is considerable inconsistency in their holy book and that maybe, they shouldn’t cherry-pick the parts they like and then use that as an excuse to oppress others.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not at Chick Fil-A. They refuse to cook chicken sandwiches on Sundays in tribute to Jeezus.

Instead, presumably, the holy roller Bible floggers force Mom to cook dinner.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Pope of course has a relatively liberal social philosophy, formed by his Latin American and European heritage featuring Sunday as a day of relaxation and enjoyment.

I don't think the Catholic Church has ever made any attempts to shut down soccer games of any age groups on Sundays in Europe or Latin America.

So I doubt Vigneron will get any big brownie points from Francis for jumping on the bandwagon of the Holy Roller Hallelujah Babtist Sabbath.

The previous Detroit cardinals took four, 10 and 11 years to be consecrated cardinals after taking office as archbishop, so Vigneron is not glaringly off that time frame.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the holier-than-thou crowd, saying "the Sabbath is for rest" and then completely disregarding their so-called beliefs in their lives outside of the church. Sunday isn't supposed to be a day of rest for you, Sissy, get me my god-damn eggs!

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So which one are you against? Rest, work or Christians? Or would you rather all the Christians worked while everyone else rested?

In other news, can’t say I’ve ever met a Christian who ever expressed the “sissy” stuff. Truth be told, most Christians want nothing to do with a sabbath. They want - and do - work, all the time.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Christians are hypocrites. Duly noted. Took 4-5 posts, but we got there.

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Interesting...

The boys county soccer tournament 'round here was deliberately scheduled on Sundays when it launched in the mid-1970s, and the girls followed suit. The idea was not to conflict with any schools' regular-season schedules.

Two parochial schools have won on the boys side quite often. Their rule used to be not to schedule before noon, to give families time to attend church first. But even that's been bypassed in recent years due to the availability of fields and/or officials... and Mother Nature.

The state athletic association regularly holds championship games on Sundays.

However, there's a community of Seventh-Day Adventists whose kids have opted out of playing in Saturday games at their local public school.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I won't say we're hypocrites. I'll say we're incredibly inconsistent.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We can be. Good thing there’s a God who isn’t.

I can appreciate just how far in a hole Christians are for some. We’ve done a poor job overall of representing ourselves. That said, this Old Testament gotcha stuff is among the worst and laziest critiques.

What’s more, we Christians try a little too hard endearing ourselves to insincere progressive critics and not hard enough with sincere folks not looking for a fight.

Draft saved Draft deleted