1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I expect him to lose by a decent margin. There will be a "anybody but Trump" turnout, IMO, and beyond that, a few states that went his way (Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio) will flip back. He hasn't done much for farmers.

Another Trump win is a rebuke of liberals so fierce that it would...well, it'd say a lot. I think liberals have made some mistakes in the last 3 years - unforced errors in some cases - but not enough to put Trump back in office.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They shouldn't have to spark a big turnout. The motivation of getting President Trump out of the White House should drive more turnout. People who don't like what this administration is doing should realize how stupid it was to stay at home in 2016. That should be enough to get them to vote in 2020 regardless of who ends up running against him. Please not that I keep using the word "should." It is entirely possible that as a whole, the eligible voters in this country will fuck things up again.

Also, it's still early. Whoever wins the Democratic Party nomination has time to build momentum. I get the thinking behind your pessimism. I'm inclined to agree with you, but I'm not at the point of considering it a foregone conclusion yet.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that Trump should take the scads of money folks are paying in tariffs on doodads and gizmos from China, give it to the noble ’Mercian farmers and call it “redistribution of wealth.”

That way, everyone will be happy.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's hard to lose a fixed game.
    No need to talk about this like it will be fairly contested.
    We are a banana republic right now.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Missouri is now working on a carbon copy of Alabama's anti-abortion law. I suspect other red states will soon follow.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I mean, I don’t and won’t diminish the worry and fear of women in that state even as I write I’m anti-abortion.

But I don’t think the law is ever going to go into effect. Additionally, 1968 Chicago was not Gilead. Additionally, if it ever went back to the states I’d be surprised if any state not named Utah made it illegal in cases of rape and incest.

I predict there’d be statewide referendums almost everywhere, it’d be very legal (with fewer restrictions) in many states, restricted to the first trimester in some, and, in Utah and maybe a few others (Wyoming?) it’d be very restrictive.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What’s fixed? The 2020 election will be fixed?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why not? It's easier the second time.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If it wasnt for rape and incest evangelicals couldnt procreate

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

NOBODY thinks Alabama is better than this.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.