1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunday will never be the same

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, May 15, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This bishop kind of has a rep for being abrasive and being tone deaf. He's also the head of the Church for the Caymans - was that the sweetner for the Detroit gig?

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I thought that too, then checked their schedules. Men's soccer, softball and men's basketball don't play any Sunday home games; softball plays on Sunday in OOC tournaments but not once league play starts.

The lacrosse teams played only one Sunday game. WBB has a special $1 promotion on Sundays so it does. Women's soccer had a couple early-season Sunday games tied with back-to-campus promotions but otherwise doesn't.

So the Titans don't play much on Sunday.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

On the contrary...Christ makes the Old Testament a richer narrative. He nevertheless fulfills the law. Read Galatians 3, Hebrews, etc.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Sunday doubleheaders are a staple in American Legion ball in the summer. Used to cover quite a few of those.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then why doesn’t the laws regarding wearing clothes of two fabrics, touching skin of dead pigs, and selling girls into slavery apply?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

First, I doubt the sincerity of this query, so you’re free to tell me what your point is about Christianity.

Second, when you write the words “Old Testament” you’re describing a massive amount of literature and history, parts of which literally describe the Christ who is to come. The Old and New testaments are two parts of a whole that make best sense when paired with each other. Christ undergirds them both.

7. Baron Scicluna

The point is the inconsistency regarding this issue. The archbishop objects to playing on the Sabbath, and uses the Bible as his guide. Yet, the Bible says other things as well. Shouldn’t the archbishop be objecting to all sports that use equipment from the hides of unclean animals?

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The high school state track meet was snowed out a few years ago, and bumped from a Thurs.-Sat. schedule to Sat-Sun. A family from a small public school I covered opted not to compete on Sunday, where three of their kids had full schedules. One girl turned down a pretty good chance at two state titles.

Seemed kind of crazy to me, but it made for a pretty good story.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ah.

Well, the idea of the Sabbath runs pretty deep in the faith - deeper than the hides of unclean animals - and thus is protected in ways other laws may not be. The Sabbath, the rest, is part of God’s character and work.

For lots of reasons, churches have largely lost sight of that, including Catholic Churches. What once was conceivably part of the Sabbath - youth sports for fun and community- has morphed into an industrial complex designed to make money and serve as development mills for colleges. I can see why an archbishop said “you know what, enough.”

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He said it because he doesn't want the holy-roller Billy Bob Shiite Xxtians to be able to say, "we're more Christian than you are."
    It's the very definition of ... gasp! ... "virtue signaling."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

In other words, some aspects of the Bible supersede other aspects?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Again: Is there a point you want to make as it relates to the Sabbath vs. animal hides? Some general point about Christianity? What?

Draft saved Draft deleted