1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not able to watch the game, but I knew I'd get the straight story here. Even on Sharks radio, they were unsure. So I guess my question is, why is it not reviweable?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Looked from HD and several angles not sure if he made contact, he swung at it and picked was redirected but did it hit (1) the ice and bounce(2) his body or (3) his arm? Looks obvious at first but it’s not clear.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Because the NHL employs high school dropouts in high level positions. This is a league that pays Colin Campbell 7 figures.

They are supported by their partners in Canada. sportsnet in is an absolute joke.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Jesus. It’s crystal clear. Hitting the ice doesn’t negate a hand pass. What do you think is in question?

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If none of the on-ice officials saw the hand pass, it can't be overturned when it shows up on video rule. I guess had the goal been scored by a high stick, and no on-ice official called it, it would stand too.

This seriously calls the integrity of the league into question.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's a league where there media partners trumpet the fact that being nice to officials is beneficial. It's a league that had the head of officials send out scathing emails because of his son. It's by far the most incestuous league out of so called top 4.

The best podcast in hockey is Elliott's 31 thoughts. He literally admits that officials are bias . That the league has two sets of rules. One for the regular season and one for the playoffs. that you have to build two separate rosters. What a joke. It's forced parity. Imagine thinking that allowing Maroon to flourish over guys like Kucherov is a good thing. The playoffs are an absolute coin flip.

Alex Burrows call out a ref a years ago. I believe his name was Stephen Auger. Never got a call again. this ref was eventually fired but the leagues mouthpieces like Ron Mclean defended him to the end.

The game is great, the people involved in it? Terrible.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Ugh my Facebook friends are trying to justify the call as either a makeup of earlier missed penalties or that the puck might, might, have grazed a Blues player.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The "league is favoring the Sharks" conspiracy theories are out there on Twitter too. But I have seen one strong pro-Sharks argument based on Rule 67.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Awful non-call, yeah. But it didn't prevent the Blues from winning, it just ended a game that shouldn't have ended at that point. Sharks still could have won ... or lost ... after that.
    I hope the Sharks' season highlight video includes all the blown calls that helped them out.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

No, that is reviewable.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

It’s the puck’s fault for diving.

12. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

It's been my experience covering college hockey that any time a puck hits the hand of a skater and then goes to a teammate, a hand pass is called (in college hockey, it can be called in any zone, even the D-zone by defending players), so the word "pass" in some cases is a bit of a misnomer. If that's the case, how did four officials miss this? Was no one watching the puck? Meier swats at it. Nothing subtle at all. It's baffling that this wasn't called.

Draft saved Draft deleted