1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunday will never be the same

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, May 15, 2019.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For decades and decades, because of field access issues with Catholic schools who played at rented public school facilities, and/or issues with Catholic schools coaches/parents who didn't want to conflict with local college sports on Saturdays, Catholic sports on Sundays was routine. Absolutely routine.

The roots also date back to the European background (Italian-Irish -French-German-Polish) Of many Catholic families and the tradition of the Continental Sabbath, ie Sunday, as a day of recreation and enjoyment. (Including beer and wine!)

It was holy roller fundamentalist Protestants who went apeshit about keeping Sunday safe from such
    profane pursuits.

This was a factor in blue laws that outlawed pro baseball and other sports activities in many cities on Sundays until the 1920s or 30s. The holy roller Shiite Christians.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Things have changed. That’s hardly what it is anymore. It’s 3 baseball games in a day. It’s all day at the park.

I wouldn’t be surprised if CYO got out for the sake of distinguishing itself and not giving its parishioners a rationale for their kids missing all summer away at ball fields not affiliated with CYO.

3. Starman

If your kid is playing high level travel sports, you're gonna play (certainly practice) on Sundays. If you don't like it, stay home and play rec league.

Then get cut from the HS varsity because you've fallen behind all the travel team hotshots.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So, in other word, Leviticus has no place in a post-Christ world?

5. Starman

I presume the University of Detroit-Mercy will inform any interested teevee networks they will refuse to play in any televised Sunday games (not that this is any huge danger anyway).

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved. So if you ignore the least commandment and teach others to do the same, you will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But anyone who obeys God’s laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven. But I warn you—unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!”MATTHEW 5:17-20

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Shit, my assbackward state just got rid of its blue laws within the last 20 years.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I get your point, I assure you, but until you've run into the sorts who think all one should do on the Sabbath is worship, eat and ... well, anything except work, I'll stand by my post.

Too many of those sorts are in the "there's somethin' wrong with them people who don't work 8-5 Monday through Friday" group. Been around too many who view you in a different light strictly for that reason. The judgment is ... a problem.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who cares? It's their own leagues. They can play when they want. Parents will walk their kids to other leagues if they don't like the new schedules.

10. Starman

The idea that it's some fundamental Catholic principle to not play sports on Sunday is bullshit.

It's completely a concoction of holy roller bible beater Shiite Protestants.

The kind who, often enough, burn crosses on Catholic Church lawns.

You'd think the high and mighty archbishop of Detroit would be aware of that history and take an occasional minor opportunity to stick a thumb in their collective eye by playing intermittent kids sports games on Sundays.

Instead he bends over and cowers.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So Christ makes the entire Old Testament moot?

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Sunday games are regularly scheduled in the Horizon League
    Plenty of seats available at Calihan Hall

Draft saved Draft deleted