1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sunday will never be the same

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, May 15, 2019.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Catholics allow that? Heck, the Baptists won't allow Sunday or Wednesday games around here.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Christ also was Jewish. Jews believe touching the skin of a dead pig is unholy. How do the Catholics reconcile this with football?

heyabbott likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good for them, but it won't stop the non-CYO teams.

Youth sports has taken over our culture in the worst ways. It bleeds into everything - Sundays, holidays, every single day. And even briefly opting out - in favor of family time or, heaven forbid, a vacation - is seen as a lack of commitment.

It's commitment creep. Happens in work, too. I saw a tweet from recruiting reporter (of course) who was boasting that his colleague looks at a mere weekend as vacation. Like these are guys are all in Boiler Room or Glengarry Glen Ross or something, working 90 hours a week. If you're going to work 90, for God's sake, be a broker who makes a shitload of money at least.

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The only prep calls we EVER got on Sunday were from Catholic schools
    The Catholic League also staged football playoffs on Sundays

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Christ fulfilled the old law. It's the same reason why Christians don't have animal sacrifice. There's no need. Christians live by faith, not by law.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... yet they have zero problem running home from church in time for kickoff for the NFL game ...

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I've never worked in a place that had Sunday preps. Lone exception was last fall's Central Coast Section cross country championships, which had to change location due to the Northstate fires.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Professionals...

Huge difference.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The LDS kids on my son's club soccer teams never played on Sunday. Put us in a pinch sometimes because club soccer always plays on Sunday.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

As I pass a packed little league on my way home from church every Sunday, I wonder how many of them are up for 8 am services? I also wonder how many of them fight same-sex marriages but have not been inside a church, outside of a holiday, in a decade?

Draft saved Draft deleted