1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

And your chance of hitting on a player like that in the draft is...?

5%?

Actually the Pelicans moving the Kentucky PF is much more likely.

If I’m trading Davis, I’m getting guys who have been in the league for at least a season.

Crazy as it sounds, if the Lakers offered Ingram, Kuzma and Ball, I might pause to think about it, but only is Ball’s dad had died or was in prison for at least a decade.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

A bit of an awkward moment last night when Woj noted that a top 4 pick gives the Lakers another asset to trade for Anthony Davis and Kyle Kuzma is sitting right there.

Tweener and poindexter like this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Right, but the point is you have absolutely no idea who those guys are going to be. By "two player," I mean there are two players who we are pretty confident are going to be very good NBA players. Beyond that it's a total crapshoot.

It was a response to the idea of #3 being of a similar value to Anthony Davis. It's not even close. The #3 pick may not ever be any good.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Why are we certain Ja Morant is going to be a very good NBA player?

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I watched only the last two games in the NCAA but his D was worst than Harden's ever was, disinterest is being kind.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Worse than Trae Young? I think defense can be brought up to an acceptable level because it's largely dependent on effort and will and can also be mitigated by team defense. Curry has become a passable defender, and so has Harden (although his lapses are still sights to behold).

heyabbott likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is so embarassing. He's always been a clown show - surprised SC even allows him to be positioned as a news source anymore - but this is terrible. I'm guessing NY and LA sports hosts have an easier time saying the NBA "blew it" by not fixing the lottery than they would learning about the teams still playing. I'm still not sure whether he should get a rest for fake criticizing co-workers or for just play acting so very obviously.
    WATCH: ESPN's Stephen A. Smith Has a Meltdown For the Ages After Knicks Lose Out on Zion Williamson

And he's got a picture of him and Jimmy Kimmel on his "ego wall"? Sad.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So, you're thinking ESPN should suspend him for doing exactly what he's paid to do?

If you don't get Stephen A., maybe don't watch Stephen A.

9. DanOregon

I get him. I get his bombast, but this was so clearly a put-on for effect - that his face said "I can't believe I have to do THIS." Would have been funny if it was "Sal from Queens" but my goodness, he came off like someone playing a demented Knick fan. A real Knick fan would just shake their head and say - "figures - we can't even lose the right way" or maybe blame Patrick Ewing.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So this is the first time its been put on for effect? Isn't that his job?

11. DanOregon

Maybe it was the first time he didn't even seem to be convincing himself. The "youz"? It was like he was doing a bad imitation of his act.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You honestly believe he has selfawareness? It may be an act, but its an act he wholeheartedly believes in. He actually thinks he's a later day Damon Runyon when he's more of a character in a Runyon story.

Draft saved Draft deleted