1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You don't need that: Average American spends almost $18,000 a year on nonessentials

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, May 8, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Did you wear out the springs and recliner mechanism, or is it just too filthy for polite company at this point?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember the 90s film the “First Wives Club”. Essentially, it was about the wives being mistreated by the men, etc.

But one part I remember is one of the ex-husbands went to the ex’s place and started taking half of her clothes, jewelry, and other personal possessions,’even though he had no use for them himself. Just to show her that getting half of everything was a two-way street.

Maybe you should demand some of her most cherished stuffed animals or something. Just to annoy her.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But ... but .... CLASS WARFARE!!!

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Not dying, dead. The patient is deceased.
    All of us still in the game are hanging on by our fingernails with a lot of real-world shit going on in the background.
    I know Trumpists are the only ones who really do the working in the country, but don't sound so speshul.

First-world problems.

We have a social safety net to offer some semblance of security.
    You know- that thing we've been paying into our entire damn lives that your president wants to eliminate with one of his EKG signatures.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He got the same number of votes from my house as he did from yours.

He's as much "your" president as he is "my" president.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Oh, I expect to see that revisionism.
    "No, I didn't vote for the cretin, honest I didn't!" the Trump voter told his grandson in 2039.
    Already seeing a little of this nonsense after two years.
    If you voted for him, you failed a test of sorts and there's no undoing that now.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Through the Electoral College, Trump did get the votes from my house. Pisses me off more than just a little bit.

I could probably categorize my frustration under the vague “You don’t need that” topic, but it’s probably better fodder for another thread.

9. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Debt is the non-essential that Americans truly overpay on.

Mortgages are one thing — even with a 30-year, you hope the investment appreciates to offset some of the interest payments. Same can’t be said for cars, student loans for degrees that don’t correlate with the jobs we eventually get, rolling balances on credit card purchases on non-emergencies, etc.

The thing people CAN afford and often chose to go without is a written budget. I say this from personal experience — intentionality is liberating.

BTExpress likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is one of the smartest, most concise, intelligent things I've ever read here.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Alas...

;)

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I wish they would reconfigure the credit card machines so that when you swipe or insert the chip, it flashes a message, "You have spent $x,xxx in interest this year. Proceed?"

Draft saved Draft deleted