1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What are some examples of their political bias? Not being snarky; I subscribe but don't read a ton outside a couple cities and teams. And Richard Deitsch, I tolerate his leanings but appreciate how connected he is in sports media.

Joe Williams likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’s not Deadspin. It’s not. Day to day beat writing/individual teams, there’s nothing there.

On national topics, with national journalists it’s generally like most operations, and that’s a little progressive/socially libertarian.*That’s the default setting of national sports journalists, and, unless you’re interested in being a troll like Clay Travis, it’s about the only setting you’re allowed to the right of left without some element of shaming and/or flogging from Deadspin.

*And Deitsch is himself.

Joe Williams likes this.
  3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So there's Deitsch, as you acknowledge. And as a distant Cubs follower, I notice how often when there's a ballpark or franchise issue, it's framed as conservative Pa Ricketts on one side, LGBTQ Sis Ricketts on the other and team czar Tom Ricketts having to answer for why he's not more with the latter and less with the former. Meanwhile, you read stories framed in a way that a Nick Bosa has to answer for being simpatico with Trump but you never see stories on athletes having to answer for views to the left. At the least, in such cases the folks at the Athletic are letting social media mobs dictate their agenda. Or they hold it themselves.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

For which leftist views would you like athletes to answer?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I believe Joe would rather sports become apolitical. Which is just not the way athletes or sports media is today.

ESPN set the agenda in this way, but I’d guess a large majority of national/Internet sports journalists are healthily to the left. And since, somewhere in the last decade, the interesection of sports and politics became a thing, it was fairly inevitable the coverage would slant leftward. Various people have their own “turning point” moments, but what happened at Missouri, and the coverage of that situation right up to the point Melissa Click tried to play campus dictator (it was that moment where at least some in the media appreciated the type of thinking behind the whole protest) was a turning point for me.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Jack Johnson wants a word.

MeanGreenATO likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah and Ali, too, and John Carlos, etc. I get it.

I meant from the media’s perspective. The media has desired to connect them. Hell, Gary Smith wrote an entire profile lamenting the absence of athletes speaking out on politics. That was 2012. I doubt he’d write that now.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So did I.

Racist ultraconservatism is "politics," too.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And a switch ... someone leaves The Athletic for traditional media.

10. Writer

Writer Member

Not a good look for The Athletic...

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The guy is going from covering the A’s to covering the defending champions. More people will read his work. And from what I just read, he’s from out east. I don’t think it’s bad for the Athletic. At least the Globe hired someone after Cafardo’s death (RIP) and didn’t eliminate the position.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  12. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Seriously. Covering the Sox for the Globe is a higher profile gig than covering the A's for The Athletic.

Draft saved Draft deleted