1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'd say there's a 75 percent chance that Bell will fail a drug test for smoking the doobie. He's that dumb. Not in smoking it -- bc a lot of guys do -- but in getting caught. From what I heard from a certain Steeler, guys know way, way way in advance that they're going to get drug tested on this or that day. In short, you have to be a real moron to get caught. To get caught multiple times and get suspended, you have to be a super moron. Bell is a super moron.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is a fair point. He could definitely get busted again, and I doubt he would care unless there is a clause in his contract that keeps him from getting paid.

It takes many levels of stupid to not only fail to realize you could get a DUI for driving while smoking marijuana, but to publicly admit that you didn't realize that could happen.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know some schools do musicals with different leads on different night to give more kids a chance - I do think outstanding academic achievement needs to be acknowledged and honored.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree. I think it can be measured more than one way though, and probably should not always come down to whether some person got a C in AP Physics while another person chose not to take it.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I think most schools now employ weighted grading, where physics and other honors track courses count for 105% of your GPA for those purposes.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In any high school, almost all of the top 10 in a senior class will have GPAs over 4.0. Sometimes as high as 4.5.
    A couple of years ago I got to use the line in a story about a star football player about his GPA almost matching his 40 time. He ran a 4.6 in the 40 and had a GPA of 4.5.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes yes. Where it gets tricky is when it’s an AP Hard Science class vs AP Humanity. There’s a lot less teacher discretion in math. Some kids know it too

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My son's high school stopped recognizing salutatorians and valedictorians. The students in got a higher grade for taking AP Single Variable Calculus. But the school also had kids going to a nearby high school to take Multivariate Calculus. How do you recognize that? So the school said the hell with it because it was getting really complicated.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but our local district is constantly changing the rules because students and parents are so competitive. It was straight GPA, then weighted with standardized test scores and they just changed it again because a prominent family's daughter was beat out by a student who didn't take as many AP courses but tested better. Their poor daughter had to settled for a pre-med program at Penn State, so not being valedictorian really hurt her.

My son was sixth in his class but went to a more prestigious university than those ahead of him.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Jets fire GM and VP of Player Personnel? OK...

Draft saved Draft deleted