1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avengers: Endgame (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Apr 26, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's better than the cheat Marvel Comics recently used to bring her back after she was murdered by an evil, Hydra version of Captain America. Something about clone bodies that have all of her memories or some such nonsense.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have a question about the Soul Stone.
    There is clearly only one each of the other Infinity Stones. Are there an infinite number of Soul Stones? And what happens to it when the next person comes along and makes their sacrifice?
    Like, if Hawkeye and Widow do their thing and Hawkeye claims the stone, and then Thanos pushes Gamora off the ledge five minutes later, do they both get a Soul Stone? Or does Hawkeye's Soul Stone vanish and go to Thanos?

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

There is one Soul Stone. Thanks gets his because Captain America returned the stone that Hawkeye received for Natasha’s sacrifice.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Right, but what if Thanos had gotten wind of what the Avengers were doing in 2014 and sacrificed Gamora then and there? Would he get the Soul Stone and would Hawkeye lose it? Could Thanos just go and steal it from Hawkeye without having to sacrifice Gamora?

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

No, he would not have gotten it if he showed up and sacrificed Gamora before Steve Rogers returned it, but since Rogers was returning it at pretty much the exact time it was taken, he couldn’t have taken it before it was returned. Only one of each stone exists, and a second sacrifice wouldn’t make it magically jump to you. It would just be a wasted sacrifice. Odds are Red Skull would tell you it’s a waste of time, but he is evil so maybe not.

But, yes, if he could have gotten to Hawkeye before he traveled back forward in time, he could have conceivably taken it from him. No reason he couldn’t do that.

Batman likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

heh, Covered by one of my favorite TV Tropes.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

More like the final book in one of the big Marvel Comics crossovers of the 1990s — I hate to bring up “Avengers: The Crossing” at all, ever, but it works as a comparison, although the X-Men had multiple event series in the ‘90s that were higher-quality examples — when you pay an oversize price for an extra-thick comic that’s nothing but payoff and callbacks to the last six months of issues of a half-dozen different monthly series that you also shelled out for. The person who hasn’t read at least some of the previous product would be completely lost trying to figure out WTF is going on in that one issue.

The fact that Endgame has made a zillion dollars is proof that comic-book nerd culture has won.

(I didn’t bring up the comics’ Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity War events because they were another level of batshit crazy entirely.)

Also, that undersea earthquake that was mentioned in Endgame … Wakanda and the undersea kingdom of Atlantis are near each other and have had some conflicts over the years. So who y’all got for Namor when Atlantis attacks?

8. outofplace

I read somewhere that the writers debunked that theory. They said something along the lines of wishing they were smart enough to think of it. That said, a writer of a future movie could choose to build on it, anyway.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Okay - so when Thanos kicked ass on the Asgaardian ship at the top of Infinity War and Idris Elba did the rainbow bridge thing - I'm guessing all of the survivors minus Loki and Thor were transported to Earth (though only Hulk was shown?)?

10. outofplace

That, or they had some sort of escape pod and Thanos allowed it because he was always focused on killing half of the population, not all of it.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One more thing - Strange was thinking about a way to beat Thanos and told Stark there was "one" way - hence he gave up the stone. But why wouldn't he have given Stark and others the details before he got snapped? Could have cut Endgame by a third of its running time.

12. outofplace

Maybe he was afraid they'd try to avoid some of the bad shit involved int hat one way to victory. The snap had to happen. The world had to go through those five years. Also, people who were left behind suffered and died due to the snap. Just imagine the aircraft crashes or automobile accidents alone. Also, Tony Stark had to die. You don't think the Avengers would try to find a way around all that and screw up the whole thing? I'm guessing he couldn't take that chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted