1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Loved the monologue song and the Sandler family reunion, even if they did the exact same thing with Jim Carrey a few years ago.

And can't forget the long-awaited return engagement of Opera Man.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  2. nietsroob17

And then the performance of his Farley tribute. I saw it before as part of his stand-up special, but it's still just as f'n amazing.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

First time I'd seen it. Pretty touching. I did think Sandler was going to break down there.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought that when Sandler was on SNL he was one note and not funny.

swingline, BadgerBeer and Flip Wilson like this.
  5. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I am normally not a grumpy old man kind of guy but I have never found Sandler even remotely funny save a couple of instances. I did like Lunch Lady and his golf movie made me laugh a couple of times. He seems like he is a nice guy and probably fun to have a beer with but I don't find his little boy/cognitively disabled voice stuff anything but cringe worthy. Yuck.

6. nietsroob17

His straight comedy can be one-note, but when he gets to dramas or dramedies, he has had some good roles, like "Reign Over Me" and "Funny People."

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the better SNLs. Operaman is an inspired character - and like Spade's Hollywood Minute - a great way to be current without having to do a sketch of the news each week. I'm sure most people didn't even realize he was canned from SNL after Billy Madison came out and did pretty well.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Sandler has always seemed like the C- student that's especially frustrating because he'll do A-work from time to time.

9. DanOregon

I'd watch a Sandler-Jim Carry buddy cop movie.

10. DanOregon

11. nietsroob17

Emma Thompson killed it. As a longtime "Chopped" watcher, I loved that skit, especially since they filmed it on the actual set.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It was the best skit of the season. Especially since it touched on my pet peeve -- that they have only one ice cream maker.

Draft saved Draft deleted