1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You don't need that: Average American spends almost $18,000 a year on nonessentials

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, May 8, 2019.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Jeeeezus.

I have a non-disparagement clause in my agreement that she can’t say anything about our marriage or finances resulting from it in any social media or public forum.

Hang in.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I probably should have done that for my sanity, but in return she wanted a clause that said I couldn't write about anything that happened, and I wanted to keep that option open. It boggles my mind that she can't understand that I have a much bigger audience.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I haven’t had a novel published in many years but the best story I have will come from those last three years. I’ll wait until the cigarettes and wine do her in.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And 28 cents!

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I have a comparably minuscule audience, though still larger than my ex's, but still had that option left open. Nearly 17 years later, I hope she still wonders if/when I'm ever going to lob a verbal grenade that gets published. I'm not, nor do I have plans to, but I hope she sweats once in a while.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’m so glad I’m single and never getting married (tho I just probably jinxed myself).

8. typefitter

I still think a great marriage—a loving, supportive, committed relationship between two like-hearted people—is the path to the happiest existence. But a bad marriage is a hell unlike any other, and divorce is a savagery. It's taken me three years to get untangled, and it has taken a lot of work not to be angry all the time. I spent months in therapy and I still struggle with occasional stretches of black mood. It can be hard to believe that people are good.

I vowed to be single for a long time after my separation, but I found someone within three months—we'd known each other for years—and now she's living with me. Sometimes I'm still scared of what the future might hold, because my marriage wasn't bad from the start, and I can't imagine many relationships that don't have its stresses. But right now we delight in each other, and my life is so much better with her in it that I kind of just have to take the risk.

To your point, however: Being single works for a lot of people, and I would choose being single over being in a bad relationship the way I'd choose a slice of cake over a pile of shit.

And if I knew someone about to get married, I would ask: "Are you extra goddamn sure?" Because the financial damage, while brutal, isn't half of it.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

10. typefitter

One of the many things I don't get—like, how is grooming "inessential"—is that say you save that $18,000 a year. You spend it instead on... what? Investments? So that you can have more money not to spend on things you like? What's the point of making more money if you're not allowed to spend it? Someone earlier on the thread talked about spending money on trips. That's arguably inessential. But it's not inessential to a well-lived life. Who would argue that you should put money in a GIC instead of seeing the Pyramids of Egypt? Fucking people who make money off your GIC, that's who. Like these life insurance hucksters. They're going to Egypt, I guarantee you.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So that six months after you get laid off you're not screaming, "Government, HELLLLLLP ME!"

I mean, people throw tens of thousands of dollars into health insurance . . . JUST IN CASE (the monster health catastrophe happens)! But most don't have a sufficient "just in case" fund for the far-more-likely rainy days. Or retirement.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I missed this part.
    The Ladder survey gives its purpose away by suggesting that “nonessential” spending interferes with spending on things that are really important, like life insurance.

Go fuck yourself, Ladder.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted