1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

‘Gambit’ and Three More Untitled Fox/Marvel Films Removed From Disney Slate

Gambit is finally, officially dead as an upcoming movie project. I swear, that project has had more endings than The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. It was never a good idea, at least not with Channing Tatum in the role.

This article isn't clear what other Fox movie projects were removed from the schedule. I'm not sure X-Force was ever officially on it. New Mutants, which has already been pushed back a couple of times, will be the final release in Fox's movie X-Men universe.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Happily I can say I've never watched a single second of any of those except Star Wars.

Assuming the Raimi Spider-Man movies don't count. (Or the Gruffudd-Chiklis Fantastic Four.)

3. outofplace

You've seen Fantastic Four, but none of the MCU movies? And you think that is a good thing? Man, that explains a lot.

4. Starman

The FF movies would have been ok, except they fucked up Doctor Doom.

Kind of the reason DC Superman movies have mostly sucked: they keep fucking up Lex Luthor.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Fucking up Superman is a bigger reason they’ve sucked than fucking up Lex Luthor by far.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Starman

They've kinda taken turns at it.

One thing I rarely see pointed out: the last movie primarily based on Superman to be an unqualified hit was Superman II in 1980 -- seven bombs and 39 years ago.

At some point WB/DC should try something really revolutionary: kill off Superman, once and for all and forever, across all its media platforms.

7. outofplace

There is a universal rule across all comic book-based media. Only Uncle Ben and Bruce Wayne's parents stay dead. Bucky used to be in there, too, but Marvel threw that part out and the results have been some fantastic storytelling in the comics and the movies. (I don't mean everything with Bucky, but the storyline of his return in the books was great and Captain America: The Winter Soldier was excellent.)

8. Starman

Kill off Superman completely-- movies, teevee, comic books, games, merchandising, everything. Pull the plug. Sell off back stock of product, and that's it. Be done with it.

Then, in 2038, if anybody still cares, bring him back for the centennial. And if nobody cares, then nobody cares.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, his old campus rival from his Empire State University days — a former child genius from California by the name of Richards — has invented a new type of spaceship and is preparing to take it into orbit from a secret Manhattan launch site …

10. outofplace

Looper released a video with its top 30 Sueprhero movies of all time. It is current enough to include Avengers: Endgame, but spoiler alert, that ain't No. 1.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I discovered a site called ComicOnlineFree - Read comics online free in high quality a couple months ago and have been digging through back issues like the nerdy dateless teenager I once was. I read the entire Knightfall storyline and almost 300 issues of G.I. Joe.
    Any suggestions on what to read next? Either single issues or arcs?
    I'm picking through some Superman stories in Action Comics right now. I was never a big Superman fan, but some of these haven't been too bad. Issue No. 775 was reportedly a classic that didn't disappoint, but other than that I'm mostly checking out the milestone issues like 800, 900, etc.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Has anyone else seen Brightburn? It looks like it is setting up parallels to some comic book universes (apart from the fact it's a horror version of the Superman origin).

At the end when Brandon Bryer is destroying Kansas, the Alex Jones-esk character is raving about others. He references a half fishman (obviously a dark version of Aquaman) and there is a Flash-like character that I've read might be a reference to another movie. Is this the start of a horror universe or is this a link to one that was already started?

Draft saved Draft deleted