1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Search Function

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JC, May 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I used it a LOT as a newbie in 2011 to catch up on the inside jokes and lingo.

That’s how I found the cucumber-scented candle discussion. One of my all-time favorites.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I just searched for "the meaning of life," and it told me that the search could not be completed, which checks out in every possible sense.

2muchcoffeeman and Batman like this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The answer is 42.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Which is the ASCII value of an asterisk, and * is a wildcard in Unix and DOS, so it translates to anything and everything.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Starting to think Jeff doesn’t care about this message board anymore.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Who own the SJ.com?

OWNS .... OWNS ...

HanSenSE and Huggy like this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

upload_2019-5-24_13-7-14.jpeg

8. Pony_Express

Pony_Express Member

Search function still not working. It was for years. Is this ever going to get fixed or no more searches on SJ?

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

My guess, for some time, is that the Search function was purposely taken down. Moderators have not responded to continued questions about the issue.

But, this being a journalism board, transparency is important. Questions deserve answers. ... But not here anymore?

Pony_Express and JC like this.
  10. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

In the meantime you can try in google:

site:sportsjournalists.com searchterm

Slacker and justgladtobehere like this.
  11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Why would that be done, particularly on purpose? Disabling the search function is one sure way to kill interest in a site. Because even if people ever used it to, say, look up something from the past to reference for use in dinging other members -- and, relatively speaking, I can't imagine that really happened all THAT much -- how much more are search functions used to look at and call up all the good, informative, interesting and wonderful things about it?

Stimulation is key on social media, and a good search function generates that. Otherwise, there is nothing to look at except the most recent posts, because it is nearly impossibly time-consuming to find other stuff you might be looking for, and so, eventually, you won't bother. Looking, or with the site.

I really miss the search function and I know its current unavailability already has curtailed my interest in and use of this site quite a bit, even in the short time it has been down. The moderators would be best served by getting it up and running again.

Stoney and Pony_Express like this.
  12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I was doing an odd bit of research, googled “fibbertijibbet” and a 2008 post from this site was among the top results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.