1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2019 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 10, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have no problem with players transferring - but I would require them to spend at least one academic year at a school before being allowed to "enter the portal." Players get recruited for three years then show up and want to transfer after a few weeks or months? Ridiculous.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

But it's okay that coaches can do it.

3. DanOregon

Not many coaches take a gig and bail before coaching a game.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Manny Diaz did it last December.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like this kid wanted moved away from a hellyin roommate and the coaches ignored him. If these asshats aren't going to pay attention to simple shit like housing assignments I'm not sure I'd trust them with big things -- like concussion protocol.

6. DanOregon

But the roomie was transferring, don't understand why there would still be a problem.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Because he alerted them to a potential issue and they ignored him and it. What else will they ignore?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And the other 20+ coaches hired at I-A schools didn't. Hence the "not many coaches" qualifier.

Temple was also amply compensated, which doesn't happen when athletes transfer. The coaches leaving/athletes transferring analogy is apples to oranges.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A kid who wants to leave that fast for that reason is a kid you ultimately don't want around. Even if he's a good kid. Let him locker room lawyer somewheres else. He'll never look at the first school the same. Stinks for Florida, but move on.

Coaches will proclaim disgust at such departures, and there is some, but those can be accounted for in the next class.

I'll tell ya the two that really piss coaches off:

1. The kid who eats up all kinds of reps in fall camp, then says, meh, fuck it, I'm transferring. An even worse subset of said kid emerged last year at Oklahoma State and a few other schools, which was the kid who played 4 games, decided to preserve his redshirt under the new rule, and transferred. Kelly Bryant did this. Dabo handled that unbelievably well, but Bryant would have been loathed for a long time if Clemson had lost that game to Syracuse. Of course, the media ate up Bryant's transfer, because journalists tend to be consummate meritocrats who, if they could work for one place and freelance for 9 other places, would.

2. The kid they try to run off with honest conversations, it doesn't work, then, the kid graduates, and just about the time he's gonna a second-string left tackle, he's out as a grad transfer. That kid eats up a schollie for 3 years, contributes little, then takes his one good year somewheres else.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If only I gave a shit about what pisses off coaches in the amateur football racket.

JC, justgladtobehere and poindexter like this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Sometimes it works. Matt Campbell is working.

Sometimes it's a money thing. Big donor X wants to School Y to spend millions on a coach because that looks like "investment." School Y does, Donor X pitches in more bucks, and so it goes.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Sorry to talk nuts and bolts there for a minute.

Let's get back to this site's preferred platform of dismantling the NCAA.

Draft saved Draft deleted