1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Was Landeskog skate not on the blue line?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And after that one, think I'll relax with the second-half of R0ckets-Warriors.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Did they ever call a delayed offside, though? They can retroactively do that? Regardless, wasn't he and the rest of the team totally clear of the zone while the puck was in the neutral zone, thus it not being a delayed offside? If so where is the evidence that he ever entered the zone first? I have yet to see an angle with his skate clear of the blue line before the puck. In the NHL do reviews not have to be conclusive, it's just what they assume happened? Admitted Avalanche fan here, but I can't wrap my mind around it at all. I feel I'm a level headed enough sports fan that I think I'd feel the same for any team getting the brunt of that one.

Loved the fight of the Avs and the run was really fun and the future looks amazing. But the call effed up the rest of the second period and who knows how the game turns out. That third period though, man, how'd they only get one goal?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

THe puck had left the zone which means there no longer is a delayed offside. He also was touching the blue line. Does the linesman arm not come down when the puck leaves the zone?

Roscablo likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Hat tip to the captain for owning the mistake. I'm not going to pretend to know the rule or if it was applied correctly, but compare that with the level of whine from Vegas.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The two situations aren’t remotely the same. Vegas got royally screwed, and Shark fanboys are the only ones that refuse to see it.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

He definitely did not execute the change correctly and if he does none of this even happens. So there is an element there that you have to respect. He definitely at least opened the window for such a call to be made. But it's still a bad call no matter how you dice it.

That said, the Avalanche did not quit even a little. The Sharks have to be breathing a big sigh of relief that third turned out the way it did.

9. Spartan Squad

Vegas gets royally screwed and were so busy blaming the refs they gave up 4 goals in as many minutes. Avs have tying goal taken away on an iffy call (again I won't pretend to know one way or the other) and keep playing. They lose and still done blame the refs.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Re: offside.
    No way in the world you can overturn that.
    If it's called, it's one thing.
    There is no way in the world that can get overturned.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Here the difference. We have no idea how the game finishes if the goal stands. We know damn well Vegas advances if the phantom major isn’t called..

Chef2 and Roscablo like this.
  12. Spartan Squad

We don't know how Colorado fares if the goal stands but we do know one fewer goal was the difference in the game. The ref's call did change how the game plays out. But instead of standing around wanting someone to feel bad for them while the Sharks score goal after goal, the Avs played their fucking asses off and almost forced OT. After the game they still wouldn't say it was the ref's fault or that the rule was bad. Meanwhile Vegas TV ran a story about how the city lost millions of dollars because of the ref's call. I respect the hell out of Colorado and genuinely hope the Avs are a dynasty team. I can't say the same for Vegas.

Roscablo and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted