1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 9)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That super sucks and you have my total sympathy despite my joy. Then again, Ajax have a system for their franchise. It worked for them superbly this year and it could work again.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Those have to be the best two games played back-to-back in football history. I can't think of anything else that comes close. Both of them were totally ridiculous. In a weird way, today's might have been more ridiculous. The fact that I can't decide which is nuttier tells you something. One of those games comes in second.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know I'm biased, but I'd have to pick tonight. Liverpool came out from the start yesterday and just kicked ass in every facet of the game. I'm not sure I've ever seen a better 90 minutes from a team at this level. Spurs sucked in the first half. They dug their own grave, then climbed out of it. On the road. Won at the death. Barca was a beaten squad for their last 10 minutes. Last night was dramatic. Tonight was melodramatic on the grand scale.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I was just thinking, lost in today's madness, Lloris made a helluva save late into stoppage time that will be a footnote, but it meant that Spurs still had something to play for in the last second.

An aside: My lovely, lovely girlfriend came over to show me a pate she was making. I looked at her and Spurs scored the winner the instant I did. I just heard the sound of it. I will never eat another bite of fucking pate in my life.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That was consecutive days of insane soccer as you will see. Mind-boggling.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Unfortunately gets buried on TNT for the non-obsessive.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes. It's too bad NBCSN did not get this contract to do it justice. I'm far from obsessive, but that was some riveting stuff the past couple of days.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Even Fox did a better job than B/R.

9. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

City piling it on to clinch the title. Flipped to the Liverpool game and the energy is just dead in the stadium and in the announcers. Meanwhile it sounds like a home match in Brighton.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Let’s all celebrate corrupt petro bucks!

Draft saved Draft deleted