1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Since when has Gannett been ok with the c-word?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, May 8, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I think we've crossed the line on deciding what is and isn't in good taste to be in a newspaper when the elected leaders we cover start using that language regularly, whether in a speech, a text or wherever. Sugarcoating it, using "expletive deleted", bleeping it out or redacting it on TV softens it too much. If we're going to cover the stuff these people do, we need to put it out there unvarnished. He said it; the newspaper didn't.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You don't really have to worry about offending any children. No one under the age of 40 reads newspapers anymore.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He said it but the newspaper doesn't have to. Just because our elected officials are going deeper into the muck doesn't mean the press has to always follow verbatim. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not impressed at all.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Tough call. Not at all a fan of simply flinging out profanity.

But when a certain person uses "sh_thole countries" and declares a investigation against him "total bullsh_t," then is the media the bad guy for printing it when they said it directly?

The bigger question ... there's no way people in high places suddenly used such language. Leaders have been profane and even vulgar long before the last few years. At what point are we writing down what they say and at what point are we sensationalizing something?

Doc Holliday likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

But think of the fainting grannies!

Tweener likes this.
  7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is a great point. We should go ahead and run cuss words now because of what you said. I fully agree. I mean there's no way in hell anybody under 40 is gonna consider reading the newspaper, so cuss away. Good post.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Trump to Dems: Fuck you, bitches

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Damn right. Fuck those tree huggin, spotted owl lovin, dolphin savin pussies.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

One of the dumbest things I've seen was when cable teevee news showed breaking news cell phone footage of the Florida school shooting and bleeped out cuss words - you know, because kids may be watching - but let the sweet, sweet sound of gunfire and children screaming bleed through my television speakers in all of it's stereo-sounding glory.

We have some shit real backwards.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, we're having a heated office debate about whether to run a photo online of Evan Turner flipping the bird at Nuggets players with a column about Evan Turner flipping the bird at Nuggets players. :rolleyes:

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Get back to work.

justgladtobehere likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted