1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Well, assuming it just means the movies and not the books.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Ooof. That is the logical choice, but man.

Can I keep Fellowship of the Ring and ditch the Star Wars prequels?

JRoyal likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The new trailer for Spider-Man: Far From Home starts with Tom Holland warning the audience that it contains major spoilers for Avengers: Endgame. He isn't kidding, though it is funny given Holland's habit of sharing spoilers. Consider yourselves warned.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's an interesting line about The Snap opening portals to other dimensions and other Earths. Guess that explains how the X-Men and other Fox characters are going to wind up in the MCU.

5. outofplace

That is one theory. Another that I read somewhere is that there have always been humans born with the X-gene, which creates mutants, but it is only activated by exposure to the type of radiation given off by the Infinity Stones. That lead to relatively few humans with the X-gene becoming mutants in the past,but the snap exposed the entire world to the energy of the stones, so a large number of them manifested at that time, with even more in Endgame. Given that so many mutants showed up around the time of the snap, that would lead humanity to connect them to it. Then maybe it becomes public that their genes were activated by the event, which would then account for why humanity would hate mutants while loving other beings with power.

I'm not sure how well the timing would work, but I really do like that theory.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's a pretty plausible way to integrate the mutants into the MCU.

The multiverse concept at least leaves open the possibility of future Iron Man movies (with or, more likely, without Downey). I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Iron Man.

Also, I hate the way they are literally "looking for the new Iron Man." I get that MCU needs someone to carry these films, and Spider-Man seems a natural fit, but like I complained about at the end of "Homecoming," I hate the idea of reducing Spider-Man to a kid in an Iron Man knockoff suit. Spider-Man — wrist-shooters aside — was always more about the abilities (and responsibilities) given to him by the spider, not some digital assistant doing most of the work for him inside the suit.

7. outofplace

I agree in principle, but I didn't hate the use of the suit in Homecoming. I really hope they leave the events of Endgame alone, which means leaving Iron Man and Black Widow dead. If they need a genius in the armor, go with Batman's idea from before, which is somewhat similar to the Infamous Iron Man comic. Do that or bring in Riri Williams/Ironheart.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I had to Google Ironheart, and she might be an interesting character, but it smacks a little too much like Miles Morales. It would make some sense to do that in a Spiderverse sequel, but I'd avoid it the main MCU. They're already making Falcon into Captain America, too, so it seems like overkill to replace the MCU's two biggest characters with successors in the same uniform/suit. I missed Batman's post, so I'm not sure what his suggestion is.

The multiverse essentially allows Marvel to reboot any character they want moving forward with the simple explanation that he/she is from one of the other dimensions. I'm worried it might severely affect the quality of the planning and storytelling moving forward. It has the potential to make writers really lazy.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, if Far From Home is supposed to serve as a sort of epilogue for Endgame (and from the trailer it's definitely set after Endgame and not a prequel like some thought) then it makes sense. Tony Stark provided so much of the world's advanced technology, particularly to the Avengers, that he leaves a huge practical void in the world. They need someone to fill it, if for no other reason than it puts the Avengers at a major disadvantage.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

They could bring in Shuri from Wakanda. Don't know how the logistics would work if she doesn't want to leave her homeland.

11. outofplace

Thing is, they don't have Miles Morales in the MCU and honestly, I don't think he fits right now, not with such a young Peter Parker. I get your point regarding Riri Williams, but without Miles around, I don't see the conflict.

The multiverse thing could definitely be a mess. Supposedly, there is a clip referring to the MCU version of Earth as 616, which is the traditional designation for the primary Earth in Marvel Comics. Apparently, the MCU's Earth already had a designation in the comics, which was something else entirely. That makes sense because the MCU is a sort of mash-up of ideas from multiple realities in the comics, primarily the 616 and the Ultimate Comics line, with some new twists created for the movies.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A few pages back, that was the rough story outline I was laying out was that it would be a good way to introduce Doom to the MCU. He'd be the guy, the new up and comer, stepping in to take Stark's role as the world's leader in high tech gadgetry. Then they could play him off of a number of heroes like Black Panther (business rivals), Strange (magical rivals), Rhodey and Spider-Man (heroic partners and rivals as he gradually takes over Tony's role).

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted