1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Orleans Advocate purchases Times-Picayune, nola.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 2, 2019.

1. Atlanta is the answer to this question. The AJC doesn't even use stringers for road games, and I've been told they don't even staff every home game. When the Hawks were in my market this season, there were zero Hawks writers in the building. Shootaround was just me and the girl who does their social media. Even their Athletic beat writer doesn't travel at all.

It's a shame, because they have a fun, likeable young team and Trae Young is going to be a star for a long time.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Too bad Atlanta is an apathetic sports town. Except when it comes to soccer.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That paper, formerly a giant, went to hell in a long, ugly slide. More so than many others, it seemed.

BartonK likes this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes. Its sports section went from great to horrendous seemingly in an instant.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

All the fans come in from the Carolinas anyway.

Donny in his element and Batman like this.
  6. Slacker

Newhouse co. sends bumbling exec
    to lay off entire Times-Picayune staff

“I’m very proud to be a colleague of everyone in this room and on the phone,” he said roughly three minutes into his speech.

The touchy-feeley line seemed to prompt a soon-to-be-unemployed reporter to raise his hand and ask, “Who is talking? We don’t know who is talking.”

“I’m sorry. I should have introduced myself. Tom Bates,” he said.

Five minutes later, after Bates had finished his speech and a human resources official was explaining the severance packages, another staffer piped up with a question.

“The man we just listened to, what’s his title,” the staffer asked.

“He’s the president,” said HR executive Ellen Williams.

“He’s the president of… ?” the staffer asks.

“He’s regional president of Advance Local,” Williams replied, referring to the Newhouse entity that has owned the Times-Picayune since 1962.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/07/newho...zOUOXR-h_0H6UZ2GOe4X3mWBecoKbFG5xxRjI8oCWiztg

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you're "very proud to be a colleague," how about sacking the eff up and doing your mass layoff in person?

studthug12, crimsonace and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Slacker

Story says he was sent there, so others were probably linked in on speaker phone.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

OK. I didn't think the story was clear on that.

crimsonace likes this.
  10. Slacker

Yeah, it definitely wasn't clear about it. I stumbled through it, too.

11. << the Athletic writer does travel with the Hawks. Not to every game but he has.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Glad the Post wrote that. Nice to embarrass the wretched company and its handling of the situation. Normally the awesome reporter who butted in to say, "Who is talking. We don't know who is talking," would have received a stern talking to after the meeting. Not this time. Everybody got fired. People disagree with Fredrick. I can't imagine a more despicable profession than newspapers. Disgusting behavior over and over by the highest suits. And sad behavior.

Draft saved Draft deleted