1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Free Solo - would have been interesting to monitor my blood pressure while watching it. Which is nuts, because you know how it ends. And also shows what a great movie it is. Honnold is an amazing guy, I really do hope he lives a long life. The people around him were as interesting as he was in the doc.

The worst thing about it? The ending song by Tim McGraw - a Diane Warren-esque power ballad that I don't suspect will ever find its way onto Honnold's playlist.

"In your heart, in your head, in your hands
    Gravity is a fragile thing
    It don't define you
    Gravity will help you, love you
    Tell them to never let go
    There is a beautiful valley below
    When you hold on so tightly to the dream
    Gravity is just a fragile thing..."

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    bigpern23 likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How was he as a dancer? I picture him trying to lead and stepping on a lot of toes. Maybe going for a dip and dropping his partner

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Artic; got 8.5 on Rotten Tomatoes (according to wife) and IMHO far from that. Well done from a scenery point of view, but almost ponderous pace.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Was the teacher cute? Poin?

5. CD Boogie

Wish I could answer that.

6. DanOregon

It is amazing how much Netflix has fetishized murderers, particularly ACTUAL murderers. Not saying their depictions romanticize them - but they certainly make them seem more "normal" or at least "interesting." Escobar, Chapo, Kazinsky, Manson, Bundy,....

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They are interesting. If nothing else, they are interesting.

8. CD Boogie

Those guys were all famous way before Netflix came along

9. DanOregon

Sure - I just don't understand the need to promote them. Probably says a lot about our culture. That most serial killers are white dudes, come from "normal" backgrounds and appear less threatening than most criminals we see on TV.

10. CD Boogie

Ratings? Which drive ad rates, which drive profits? By the way, I think using the word "promotion" is a bit off. They're more like exposés. These guys aren't benefiting financially and their careers aren't looking better because of these exposés. And I doubt anyone watching shows about serial killers comes away thinking, "Man, that's a sexy, remunerative way to make a living."

I guess it's possible that some people get into drug dealing because of the allure of Pablo Escobar's life story. But I'm guessing those types are bad seeds already, so if his biopic didn't drive them to deal ya-yo, they'd probably be robbing banks or some such shit.

11. DanOregon

We just had another copycat school shooting yesterday and you don't think there are some sickos taking notes on this stuff? Thinking they will "make a name" for themselves? The "true crime" genre has always made me a little queasy - if it helps a victim's family that's great - though too often I think their grief is exploited - or even worse, ignored.

12. CD Boogie

I'm sure there are some people looking to make names for themselves. And I'm also sure that some of these kids are just mentally ill or simply assholes lashing out bc their life isn't as glamorous as what they see on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted