1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Orleans Advocate purchases Times-Picayune, nola.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 2, 2019.

1. Whoadie

Whoadie New Member

Yes. Pelicans eliminated from playoffs after loss to Warriors in Game 5 - nola.com

That whole story has just been a bunch of people saying shit without a whole lot of facts.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've covered a number of Pel
    I've covered a number of Pelicans' road games in recent years and haven't seen one writer from the TP or the Advocate at least for the past two seasons -- maybe three, now that I think about it.

3. Whoadie

Whoadie New Member

I don't know what to tell you, da man. Three places cover the Pelicans. Two of them have FT beat writers. I'm not sharing an opinion or anecdotes. Those are just the facts of the situation.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well, I know I've covered those Pelicans road games for the Advocate as a freelancer, so I'm pretty sure they don't travel with the team. And the only NO "beat guy" I've seen in the press conference/locker room has been Jim Eichenhofer, who works for the team.

cake in the rain likes this.
  5. Whoadie

Whoadie New Member

OK. Two places still have beat writers covering the Pels. These facts aren't up for debate. Kevin Durant plays for the Warriors. Will Guilory is a FT beat writer for The Athletic. Andrew Lopez is a FT beat writer for the TP.

Maybe they don't travel to your city. It's not uncommon for places to pick and choose which games they attend in 2019 when money is hard to make and deadlines are early.

Lopez really worked his way up the ranks from preps to LSU to Pelicans. It's pretty unfair for people to act like he's not a real beat writer and discredit his role without actual facts, especially at a time he is looking for work.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that we have resolved the T-P had a full-time beat Pelicans writer who does not always travel. I use the past tense because Andrew Lopez seems to have received a layoff notice so who knows what will happen next season.

But is there any other NBA market where the beat writer of the largest paper does not travel. I think Sacramento still travels and that would be the most likely candidate given the Bee sports section is down to four (?) staffers.

7. LanceyHoward

8. sporty

sporty Member

The Advocate has NEVER traveled with the Pelicans, only with the Saints. NOLA.com pulled off of covering the Pelicans full-time on the road about four years ago due mainly because of the lack of audience growth. They didn't feel like there was anymore penetration to be had with the Pelicans and with the budget tightening, it was an easy decision for them. Even the year the Pelicans made the playoffs and faced the Warriors in the first round, it wasn't quite a slam dunk the NOLA.com writers were going but someone realized how ridiculous that would be. I think NOLA.com may have traveled to some of the Pelicans road games after that but for a while I know they had the beat writers covering the games off of TV and then the PR staff would send them some quotes. If you look at obvious road games with no datelines, that's exactly what transpired.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I read the entire TP staff was given layoff notices, but the Advocate said some will be hired back. I'm guessing it won't be many, though.

10. sporty

sporty Member

11. LanceyHoward

I read earlier in the thread about 20. And I read somewhere else the T_P had a staff of 161.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Bee writer goes on the road. It's their only pro team.

Draft saved Draft deleted