1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Galloping Triple Crown thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You'd have to find them first. Better than 65-1 on that.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I never knew this until listening to the wiseguys on VSiN ... if you make a big sports bet and lose the ticket, you're not necessarily SOL. Most Vegas books will find it in their computers if you can tell them the bet and roughly when you made it, and pay you if it won. Whether they'll go to that effort for a $20 Yankees bet or $2 longshot on a horse race, I don't know (probably not), but I always thought if you bet a massive sum on a game you'd have to protect that ticket with your life.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Why can't a horse cut off another horse? Seems like a silly rule when you're racing. It's not like the jockey is swinging a chain to clear some space. Rubbing is racing and all that jazz. If one horse sticks its nose up another horse's butt, is that a DQ?

I'm surprised it hasn't happened more frequently in the big-name races.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    what might be used to cut off a horse

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is a DQ because such maneuvers jeopardize the safety of all horses and jockeys in the race and create unfair competition. There have been stewards' inquiries since the dawn of thoroughbred racing. Horses are not cars. There's no steel cage around those jocks. The horses themselves are highly vulnerable living creatures.

9. CD Boogie

that all makes sense. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often, especially in such muddy conditions when jockeys must be hard-pressed to see a damn thing.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maximum Security's connections announce they are skipping the Preakness.

Smart move to gin up the martyr angle. You run the next one and finish out of the money and you torpedo your sympathy.

11. CD Boogie

He'll never be Barbaro

[​IMG]

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Travis Stone, the track announcer calling the race ... and afterward. A groan goes up when he says “hold all tickets.” Another at the end.

playthrough, MileHigh and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted