1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Orleans Advocate purchases Times-Picayune, nola.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 2, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

True. But virtually every other big city daily is a monopoly and still struggling.

Also, when does the Times-Picayune print it last standalone edition before consolidation?

This transaction does not seem to be raising any antitrust concerns, unlike when the Obama Justice Department stopped the sale of the Orange Country Register to the LA Times. I wonder if this transaction will lead to more consolidations.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Situation sounds pretty much like our Advance experience. Told our production positions were being outsourced to a design lab tin New Jersey in about 75 seconds one May evening, out on our cans on June 30.

We got six months severance; a couple of copy editors were transitioned to the online newsroom to prepare stories for the design lab.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The whole thing is heartbreaking.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I guess I just don't understand: Isn't the T-P the bigger, better paper? This feels like the Las Vegas Sun swallowing the R-J, but I don't know much about LA papers.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Sort of reminds me of Gordon Gekko..."Because it's wreckable!"

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that Advance got a good price for what they perceived as a as a sinking ship in New Orleans. Gannett and Gatehouse both reported revenue declines of about eight percent for the first quarter.

What this reminds me of from a distance is when McClatchy sold the Anchorage paper to the wife of a billionaire. McClatchy got a good price and bailed.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Back in the early 1990s, didn't the San Antonio Light buy the other San Antonio paper, and then put itself out of business?

8. Whoadie

Whoadie New Member

They are going to keep about 20 people from the TP/Nola.com staff. Also, for those who don't know, The Advocate's management and a good portion of the New Orleans staff is made up of people who were let go or jumped ship when the TP shifted to digital in 2012.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No there isn't.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I believe the new merged paper, with both names on the masthead, and combined nola.com website begin June 1.

11. Whoadie

Whoadie New Member

Yes, there is. Two, actually. The Athletic has Will Guilory and the TP has Andrew Lopez. The Advocate doesn’t have a FT beat writer, but Scott Kushner’s situation is unique.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Do they travel, though? I recall last season they hired a stringer to cover the Oakland portion of the Pelicans' playoff series vs. Golden State.

Draft saved Draft deleted