1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Galloping Triple Crown thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 29, 2019.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If you think this decision is rare you’re not watching enough horse racing for proper context. This stuff happens all the time. It was, by the letter of the rule, an easy DQ decision. If you want to ignore the rules out because it’s the Derby, then why have rules at all?

And this shit cost me around three grand, so fuck me, but it was the right call.

Neutral Corner and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Watch the 10th race from Santa Anita on Saturday. In comparison the Derby foul was capital murder and that got a DQ too.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Read the stewards' prepared statement. What they DQd Maximum Security for didn't even involve Country Horse.

I hope Maximum Security wins the Preakness and Belmont and embarrasses the heck out of horse racing.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Maximum Security wins the Preakness and Belmont he will be justly seen as a great horse. But how it would embarrass racing I do not understand. This is the most dangerous sport there is for both humans and horses. The rules have to be enforced at all costs. They can't be making calls like the favorite is James Harden.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    what james harden the horse might look like

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how properly enforcing rules would wind up embarrassing a sport.

The three stewards - who watch more races in a week than most do all year - were unanimous in the decision. This is only a controversy to folks who aren’t railbirds.

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I see that link and I think, "I think watchmakers are cool and all, but what the fuck makes them experts on horse racing?"

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Reminded me of the blessed cheesemakers.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Exclusive photos of the stewards making their decision.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted