1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Galloping Triple Crown thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Any horses have to be put murdered during or aftterwards?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They were at Churchill Downs, not Santa Anita.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nascar has been scared for decades to take away wins after the fact because Big Bill France didn't believe in it for the ticket-buying customers. So if Dale Sr. or anyone dumped someone to win a race, so be it, yeehaw that's racin', maybe they lose owner points or some other wrist-slap a couple days later. But it was garbage.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have seen more questionable stewards' decision and I daresay most regular horseplayers have, too. It wasn't silly. It was a straight=up rules violation. I guarantee none of the jocks who almost got piled up in the scrum behind thought it was silly. Do you think the stewards WANTED to make that call? They spent most of the time in the booth trying to talk themselves out of it, but they couldn't.

bigpern23, SnarkShark and Fred siegle like this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Most people watching were drunk anyway.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

What made the horse swerve that far out and then that far back?
    Did it get away from the jockey in that span, or was it intentional blocking?

Pretty fast and strange move, so I can't really disagree with the penalty.

8. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Jody Mcdonald on wfan on Saturday morning said one of the horses had a tendency to “run sideways” and it was one of the horses that was a near favorite, but I’m not sure it was this one.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As somebody who watches a damn lot of races, that was absolutely the right call to take down the 7. I’ve seen horses do less in maiden claimers and get DQed.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And Ironhead dumped a lot of drivers to win races. Usually, followed with a sh_t-eating grin in Victory Lane, as if it were part of the act.

The funny part is when Ricky Rudd did it to him once. Swore on air and claimed that Rudd should have been put in jail for it.

Really? A prime example why I never thought much of Ironhead. And the Frances for allowing that crap to go unabated. "Have at it, boys," indeed ...

Driftwood likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When they were waiting for the decision and interviewed the trainer Bill Mott he said something along those exact lines. Something like, "If this were a claimer on a Tuesday there would be no question."
    You could tell he wanted to say, "Damn right they should DQ his ass," but either didn't want to jinx it or (more likely) didn't want to piss off the stewards before they reached a verdict.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted