1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Galloping Triple Crown thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is fucking horseshit.

And I had no money on the race,

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's the hot take but inquiries happen in horse racing quite a bit. And if you were watching live and didn't raise an eyebrow with Maximum Security's move, you don't watch a lot of racing. Still stunning to have a DQ, obviously.

In a way, this will be good for the sport when it fills sports talk all day on Monday. When a favorite wins the Derby, it's not news.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not questioning your track expertise but the guy who calls the race didn't even mention it in passing during the race, and everyone in the booth, etc., who should be well-versed in racing, seemed quite surprised their was going to be an inquiry.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There have been stewards' inquires since long, long before instant replay. There isn't a horseplayer alive or dead who hasn't lost a bet on one. Maximum Security committed a clear foul. The stewards showed a lot of guts, even if had I been a steward, I might have gone with the "didn't affect the final outcome" dodge. The point of fouls in all sports is that you cannot tell what would have happened without them taking place. Call, sanction and move on.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Most people don't watch a lot of horse racing, but the watch the Kentucky Derby. My wife and I watched the race, cheering all the way, and turned the channel when the race was over. Fourteen minutes later, we discovered that we needed to turn back. The race we saw wasn't the race of record. It won't be good for the sport. A favorite went wire to wire but wasn't the winner.

This is the equivalent of the Super Bowl winner changing after the Lombardi Trophy has been presented.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Looking forward to Daryl Morey's findings next May.

Joe Williams likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I get that but I disagree, and here's why:

It's not good for a sport when the marquee event -- the only time all year people will watch the sport -- ends up looking like a joke.

Let me put it this way -- I hadn't really watched boxing much in years and years. I watched a big match a few years ago and one guy beat the hell out of the other. The guy who got his ass kicked won a split decision. I just thought "If the fix is that blatant, why am I bothering?" Don't think I've watched a fight since.

I've watched my fair share of horse racing. I've seen plenty of inquiries. I've never seen any race result overturned on something as silly as this one, let alone the Kentucky Derby. So... if I sit through all the hype and then watch the race and then they tell me the horse that won didn't really win, why am I bothering?

Fred siegle and Driftwood like this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Except nobody cares who won the Kentucky Derby five years later.

9. playthrough

Fair points. I can't fault the race caller, trying to keep up with so much at once. Someone else in the couple minutes immediately after should have said something but they're too busy catching the winning jockey and handing out hosannas.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

On the replay, I saw the horse swerve out, but I didn't think anything would happen. Then one of the trainers said that if it was a midweek claiming race, the horse would have been DQ'd.
    I watched another replay and saw the horse swerve over and cut out the horse that was charging for the lead. Then he swerved back and almost knocked the green jockey into the railing. If I was a traffic cop, he would have gotten a ticket for drunk driving.
    Good call at Churchill Downs.

12. playthrough

Silly is subjective. I thought it was certainly worth a look and couldn't argue with the result. The hype and all of the Derby should be irrelevant. And those who say it's like the Lombardi Trophy being taken away, well, that's not really accurate. Every horse race is unofficial for a few moments after the first horse crosses the finish.

Draft saved Draft deleted