1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBI arrests "several NCAA assistant basketball coaches"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... who were not going to class ...

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

At least Pitt can go clean by hiring (checks notes) Jeff Capel.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Truth is I wish Pitt would go dirty (again) in all sports. You’ll notice Capel is whiffing on a lot of his big targets. That’s because our current nerd chancellor - the latest in a series of dorks- doesn’t want to get too scandalous and get the bag men mobilized. When you look at the wrist slaps Louisville and UNC have received there is zero incentive to remain goodie goodie about this shit.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think Louisville still has to go before the NCAA for the payoffs to Bowen. The probation they received was only for those events up to the schools decision to hire professionals, rather than amateurs, as recruiting assistants.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm fascinated by the tick-tock, play-by-play of Dawkins' testimony. Nobody cares if Christian Dawkins is convicted or if he walks. The only reason this bizarre prosecution is relevant is if it proves coaches broke NCAA rules and if the NCAA ultimately has the means, opportunity and motive to do something about it.
    If they don't pursue anything, they need to simply go ahead and rescind all rules about extra benefits, etc. Make up your mind, folks.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always been fascinated with the way the illegal payment of players is treated. Some laugh it off, "it happened long ago", some acknowlege that it still goes on - but it never connects name players with name coaches. It's always a low-level staffer etc. making a payoff to a relative.
    It's everywhere and it's nowhere.

heyabbott and tapintoamerica like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Exactly, if Mike Smith at James State is getting $25,000 what’s Zion and Ben Simmons getting? Zero? Come on don’t insult our intelligence.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think a lot of schools use networks of boosters to hire family members. Or just add dad to the coaching staff.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

SFIND likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted