1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I assume that Veep ends with Richard as VP and replacing Selena (indicted when Andrew comes back) or Jonah (strange throwaway line about him being born in Canada).

It was very funny and mean on Sunday.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just watched 'The Handmaid's Tale' first four episodes.
    This is one relentlessly grim, heavy show.

lakefront likes this.
  3. Webster

I bailed early in the second season. Elizabeth Moss and a number of others are amazing but too dark.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Same. I just got no pleasure from watching it and quit. "Relentlessly grim" is right.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No spoilers, but there is hope toward the end of the season.

6. Webster

Finished Catastrophe last night. Wonderful last episode and last scene.

lakefront likes this.
  7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Watching "24". I am guessing the wife was the least liked character. I do recall that something big happens with her, but not the specifics. I don't know how people could watch this week by week. I feel like it would have dragged with hourly concept but I know the show was huge. Love the beep, BEEP, beep, BEEP. I get a double dose of it because the commercials are not there to break it up. The senators wife is no Michelle Obama.

8. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

"The Chi" on Showtime, an urban drama. I happened to catch a random episode which held my interest throughout without seeing any prior episodes. Superb writing and directing. The actors are not well known, but are convincing.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  9. DanOregon

A friend of mine knew one of the writers of 24 and I was stunned to learn that they didn't have that show mapped out from ep 1 of the season to the end. They had a start and an ending in mind - but everything in between was written week by week. It helped explain the later seasons when they would go on a hiatus when they wrote themselves into a cul de sac - but it's too bad. As interesting as that show was, it would have been better if they dropped seeds along every episode to payoff at the end - but they had different writers.

lakefront likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the first season when it aired, but saw it as a marathon on FX or something. The flaws seemed to stand out when binged. The plot seemed to wander and problems would be resolved too easily.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You're gonna have to be quicker to the point because WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

lakefront likes this.
  12. DanOregon

Being a "completist" - I've been finishing shows that I stopped watching and were cancelled (It's my fault). I've always tried to see if you can tell in the performance that a show knows its a goner either through obvious budget cuts, unambitious storytelling, lack of guest stars and/or special effects, entire episodes without leads, Finished the USA show Colony (which seems like a show the network gave up on before the last season aired) - seemed to go out of its way to avoid special effects shots (a lot of plot centered in basements/warehouses).

Draft saved Draft deleted